Solid Introductory Text to Ordinary Differential Equations

In summary, a student is seeking recommendations for an introductory textbook on ordinary differential equations. They mention not enjoying their current textbook and are looking for a thorough and detailed book that focuses solely on ODE. Suggestions are given for books by Braun, Hurewicz, Guterman and Nitecki, and Arnold. The Guterman and Nitecki book is highly recommended and can be found at a low price. Another student recommends Tenenbaum and Pollard as a solid and cheaper option, while also mentioning that it covers topics that are often skipped in modern ODE courses. There is also a comparison made between the book by Arnold and Silverman and the Tenenbaum and Pollard book.
treebeard
Hi,

I am taking (ordinary) differential equations as a summer course and we are studying from a horrid textbook, in my opinion. Just curious if anyone might be able to suggest what is considered to be the "standard" introductory text on ODE.

While I'm certainly interested in PDE, I don't believe I'll take it as a university course, probably will study that on my own accord, thus a book concerned only with ODE is fine provided it is thorough and detailed with regard to the theory. (That said, if there is some monstrous text that covers everything DE and is amazing, I would look into purchasing it.)

I know Courant and Apostol get thrown around a lot as reccomendations for Calculus so I was wondering if there anything along those lines with regard to ODE.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is from mathwonk on another thread:

mathwonk said:
I also disliked diff eq until I read the books of martin braun , hurewicz, guterman and nitecki, and especially arnol'd.

From his recommendation, I was able to find a copy of the guterman and nitecki book very cheaply on amazon, and I really like it. So far it's the first DE book that I've really liked, and if I had it for my first DE class I probably would have appreciated the subject better.

-Dave K

Likes 1 person
I think Boyce and Diprima is one of the standard texts.

However I really like Tenenbaum and Pollard. Its an older book but its solid and a lot cheaper. It also covers a number of useful topics that modern introductory ODE courses like to skip.

Likes 1 person
We're working out of Zill and Wright, it's not a horrible book in all honesty but in my experience so far with mathematics, I've found the older texts (50-70's) do a better job of getting at the heart of the concepts rather than trying to show everything from several viewpoints.

From his recommendation, I was able to find a copy of the guterman and nitecki book very cheaply on amazon, and I really like it. So far it's the first DE book that I've really liked, and if I had it for my first DE class I probably would have appreciated the subject better.

The Guterman and Nitecki book looks pretty good, I just imagine it is similar to the book we're working out of now. But the price is great on it (.30 cents plus shipping for the third edition prior to reprint) https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Equations-First-Course-Edition/dp/0030728789/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405095260&sr=8-1&keywords=guterman+and+nitecki.

However I really like Tenenbaum and Pollard. Its an older book but its solid and a lot cheaper. It also covers a number of useful topics that modern introductory ODE courses like to skip.

I've actually been considering buying a copy of Tenenbaum and Pollard for a couple of weeks now. Any chance you (or anyone) know how it compares to the book by Arnold and Silverman https://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Differential-Equations-V-I-Arnold/dp/0262510189/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405095428&sr=8-2&keywords=arnol%27d?

Related to Solid Introductory Text to Ordinary Differential Equations

What is an ordinary differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and the derivatives of the unknown function with respect to those variables.

What are some real-life applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used to model a variety of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. Some common real-life applications include modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are the basic techniques for solving ODEs?

The most commonly used techniques for solving ODEs are separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series solutions. Other methods include substitution, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.

What are initial value problems and boundary value problems in ODEs?

An initial value problem (IVP) is an ODE that is defined by specifying the initial values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a single point. A boundary value problem (BVP), on the other hand, is an ODE that is defined by specifying the values of the unknown function at more than one point.

Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of calculus to learn ODEs?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary to learn ODEs. ODEs involve derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to effectively solve and understand ODEs.