Solid conductor sphere with cavity inside

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of charge in a copper sphere with a spherical bubble inside, and how it affects the electric potential inside the bubble. It is determined that the charge is distributed on the outer surface of the sphere, and using Gauss's theorem, it is found that the electric field inside the cavity is zero, resulting in a constant potential inside the cavity regardless of its shape.
Rene Manzano
Hi, this is my modified post since I've been told that I have to use certain format. I hope this is good now.

Homework Statement

Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

Homework Equations

1.- Find the electric potential inside the bubble
2.- Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is how the charge is distributed. Does the charge goes to the outside surface? or it's distributed between the outside and the inside surface. If the charge is distributed only on the outside surface the Electric potential is zero and then it doesn't matter the shape of the cavity. I'm I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rene Manzano said:
Hi, this is my modified post since I've been told that I have to use certain format. I hope this is good now.

Homework Statement

Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

Homework Equations

1.- Find the electric potential inside the bubble
2.- Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

The Attempt at a Solution

My main question is how the charge is distributed. Does the charge goes to the outside surface? or it's distributed between the outside and the inside surface. If the charge is distributed only on the outside surface the Electric potential is zero and then it doesn't matter the shape of the cavity. I'm I right?

For conducting sphere(or for any geometrical shape) charges will be distributed on the outermost surface.
Applying Gauss's theorem it is easy to calculate that electric field inside the cavity (of any shape) is zero which implies potential inside the cavity is constant.

Likes Rene Manzano
Korak Biswas said:
For conducting sphere(or for any geometrical shape) charges will be distributed on the outermost surface.
Applying Gauss's theorem it is easy to calculate that electric field inside the cavity (of any shape) is zero which implies potential inside the cavity is constant.

Thanks!

Related to Solid conductor sphere with cavity inside

1. What is a solid conductor sphere with a cavity inside?

A solid conductor sphere with a cavity inside is a spherical object made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it, with a hollow space or cavity in the center.

2. How does a solid conductor sphere with a cavity inside conduct electricity?

When a voltage is applied to the sphere, the electric charges distribute themselves evenly on the surface of the sphere. This causes the electric field inside the cavity to be zero, making the sphere act as a conductor.

3. What is the purpose of the cavity inside a solid conductor sphere?

The cavity inside a solid conductor sphere serves to reduce the overall weight of the object while maintaining its conductive properties. It also allows for more efficient distribution of electric charges on the surface of the sphere.

4. How is the electric field affected by the cavity inside a solid conductor sphere?

The electric field inside the cavity is zero, as the charges on the surface of the sphere cancel out the field created by the charges on the opposite side of the cavity. This results in a uniform electric field outside the sphere.

5. What are some real-life applications of a solid conductor sphere with a cavity inside?

One common application is in lightning protection systems, where a solid conductor sphere with a cavity is placed on top of tall buildings to attract and discharge lightning strikes. They are also used in capacitors, which store electrical energy, and in electrical power transmission lines to reduce the weight and cost of the cables.