Solid angle (and integral of a sine function)

In summary, the step between the 3rd and 4th equations in the derivation of the solid angle of a right rectangular pyramid involves using the fact that the integral of sinθ is -cosθ. However, since θ is symmetric about θ = π/2, the range of θ used in the integral is also symmetric, resulting in the final form of 2cos|θ±|. The mistake in the calculation is not taking into account the symmetry of θ.
mnb96
Hello,

I was following the derivation of the solid angle of right rectangular pyramid that I found at http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~bgerke/notes/solid_angle.pdf" .

I don't quite understand the step between the 3rd to the 4th equation. In particular how the integral

[tex]\int_{\theta_-}^{\theta_+}\sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

becomes,

[tex]2 \cos|\theta_{\pm}|[/tex]

Where [tex]\theta_{\pm} = \cot^{-1} (\tan\left( \pm \alpha/2)cos\phi \right)[/tex]

According to my calculation it should be:
[tex]2 \left( 1 - \cos(\theta_+) \right)[/tex]

Where is my mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what they are doing. However the integral of sinθ is -cosθ, so the definite integral is
cosθ- - cosθ+.

Since Cos[t] = Cos[-t], the integral should be identically 0. If you think about it, Sin is symmetric about the origin: hence any definite integral centered on 0 (i.e. - {-t -> t}) MUST 'sum' to 0.

earnric said:
Since Cos[t] = Cos[-t], the integral should be identically 0. If you think about it, Sin is symmetric about the origin: hence any definite integral centered on 0 (i.e. - {-t -> t}) MUST 'sum' to 0.

Your point is valid for the sine, except that it is an odd function, not an even (symmetric) function.

mathman said:
Your point is valid for the sine, except that it is an odd function, not an even (symmetric) function.

Oops! My bad: symmetric is the wrong word. As you realized, Sin reflects THRU the origin -- about both x and y... not just the y-axis as I implied.

Sorry!

mnb96 said:
Hello,

I was following the derivation of the solid angle of right rectangular pyramid that I found at http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~bgerke/notes/solid_angle.pdf.

I don't quite understand the step between the 3rd to the 4th equation. In particular how the integral

[tex]\int_{\theta_-}^{\theta_+}\sin(\theta) d\theta[/tex]

becomes,

[tex]2 \cos|\theta_{\pm}|[/tex]

Where [tex]\theta_{\pm} = \cot^{-1} (\tan\left( \pm \alpha/2)cos\phi \right)[/tex]

According to my calculation it should be:
[tex]2 \left( 1 - \cos(\theta_+) \right)[/tex]

Where is my mistake?
The range of θ is symmetric about θ = π/2, not about θ = 0. So θ- = π - θ+.

Related to Solid angle (and integral of a sine function)

1. What is a solid angle?

A solid angle is a measure of the amount of space (or solid angle) that an object or a point occupies in three-dimensional space. It is analogous to measuring angles in two-dimensional space, where the measure of an angle is the amount of rotation needed to bring one line or plane into coincidence with another. A solid angle is measured in steradians (sr).

2. How is solid angle different from regular angle?

In two-dimensional space, an angle is a measure of the rotation needed to bring one line or plane into coincidence with another. In three-dimensional space, a solid angle is a measure of the amount of space that an object or a point occupies. While a regular angle is measured in degrees or radians, a solid angle is measured in steradians (sr).

3. What is the integral of a sine function?

The integral of a sine function is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the area under the curve of a sine function. This integral is used in various fields of science and engineering to calculate things such as the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of an object over a given time period.

4. How is the integral of a sine function related to solid angle?

The integral of a sine function is related to solid angle through the concept of projection. When a sine function is integrated over a certain range, it is essentially projecting the function onto a plane. In the case of solid angle, the projection is onto a sphere, and the integral of the sine function gives the solid angle subtended by the projected area on the sphere.

5. Why is solid angle important in scientific calculations?

Solid angle is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to measure and quantify the amount of space that an object or a point occupies in three-dimensional space. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering, where precise measurements and calculations are necessary. Additionally, solid angle is used in various mathematical and physical equations to describe the behavior of objects and particles in three-dimensional space.