Solenoid's effect on a nearby iron ring

• Thread starter serverxeon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron Ring
In summary, a solenoid with an iron core inserted within is used to demonstrate the effects of induced current and magnetic flux. When the switch is closed, there will be a change in the magnetic flux through the iron ring, causing an induced current that opposes the change and momentarily swings the ring away from the solenoid. When the potential divider is brought to X quickly, the ring will swing towards the solenoid momentarily due to the change in magnetic flux. When the potential divider remains at X, the ring will remain at rest due to equilibrium. If the potential divider is brought between X and Y at 2Hz, the ring will oscillate back and forth at 2Hz due to the changing magnetic flux. While there are
serverxeon

Homework Statement

You have an iron ring, hung near a solenoid which has an iron core inserted within.
[PLAIN]http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1623/imgsole.jpg

Below are the questions and answers my book provided. I highly suspect the reasoning and i seek PF members to evaluate how true it is.
---------------------------

a) What happens when the switch is closed?
Ans: There will be a change in the magnetic flux going through the ring, and according to lens law, a current will be induced such that the resulting magnetic field opposes the change.
Hence, the ring will swing away momentarily.

b) What happens when the potential divider is brought to X quickly?
Ans: There will be a change in the magnetic flux going through the ring, hence, the ring will swing towards the solenoid momentarily

c) What happens when the potential divider remains at X?
Ans: The ring will remain at rest (ie. at equilibrium position)

d) What happens if the potential divider is brought between X and Y at 2Hz?
Ans: The ring will oscillate back and forth at 2Hz

----------------------------
My intuition tells me that the ring should be attracted to the solenoid, just like a normal metal to a bar magnet, regardless of change in flux, or polarity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two effects going on here and I think you are right that the iron ring will be attracted in parts a, b, c, and d. Should have been a copper ring to avoid confusion?

i have come up with the following. Can anyone evaluate how correct i am? Correct me if i am wrong please.

When the switch is on, the split second duration for which the magnetic flux is changing within the ring, will cause an induced current, and a Bfield in the ring to oppose the change. HENCE, the ring will not move throughout this 'split second' as the Bfield cancels out.
After the magnetic flux becomes steady, the iron ring, like all ferramagnetic material, gets attracted to the stronger side of the Bfield, which is towards the solenoid.
The iron ring will remain attracted to the solenoid despite other changes in resistance.

Anyone and everyone please evaluate my answer!

Related to Solenoid's effect on a nearby iron ring

1. How does a solenoid affect a nearby iron ring?

A solenoid produces a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. This magnetic field can induce a current in a nearby iron ring, causing it to become temporarily magnetized.

2. What is the purpose of using an iron ring with a solenoid?

The iron ring acts as a core for the solenoid's magnetic field, making it stronger and more focused. It also allows for the magnetic field to be easily manipulated and directed.

3. Can the strength of the solenoid's magnetic field be adjusted?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the solenoid or by changing the number of turns in the solenoid's coil.

4. How does the distance between the solenoid and iron ring affect the induced current?

The strength of the induced current in the iron ring is directly proportional to the distance between the solenoid and the ring. As the distance increases, the strength of the induced current decreases.

5. Can the direction of the solenoid's magnetic field be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed by changing the direction of the electric current flowing through the solenoid. This will also cause the direction of the induced current in the iron ring to reverse.