Solenoid (single or multi turn) and forces

In summary, When a coil, such as a solenoid with N turns, produces a very high magnetic field, it can lead to explosion due to the high current and resulting heat. The calculations for this depend on factors such as resistance, thermal conductivity, and melting point of the material. The magnetic field itself does not have a direct effect, but rather the heating due to the current. References for these calculations can be found in high school books on electrodynamics and by searching for "magnetic field due to current carrying coil" and "heating effects of current". However, even with a structure in place to prevent melting, the high heat generated can still cause temperature spikes as seen in the given calculation.
1Keenan
Hi all,

I need help in understand what happen when a coil, let's say a solenoid with N turn (N = 1 or whatever) produces a very high magnetic field.
I know that the solenoid could explode, this means that there are forces on it, and I don't know how to calculate.
Can somebode helps me?
Can you provide any reference for this calculation?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You told that B is high hence i is high.consequently more heat is generated which causes explosion. As far as calculations are concerned it depends on resistance, thermal conductivity and Melting point of the material.

so it does not depends on the magnetic field itself, but on the heating due to the current...
Can you please provide some reference?

1Keenan said:
so it does not depends on the magnetic field itself, but on the heating due to the current...
Can you please provide some reference?
Yes. You can refer any high school book on electrodynamics.And if you want formulas search "magnetic field due to current carrying coil"and "heating effects of current".
Hope it helps[emoji106]

thank you

but are you sure that there is no effect due to the magnetic field?
I mean solenoids for high field usually have a bulk to keep the structure all together, even if they don't melt

Hi again,

can you check this calculation, please?
I have:
Current (FWHM): I=2e5A
time of current pulse (FWHM) t=3nsec

For the conductor:
Resistance: 0.018473 Ohm
Volume: Vol=0.932 mm3
Mass: M=8.313e-6 Kg
Specific heat: Cs = 385 J7(Kg*Kekvin) [Specific heat of Copper]

I calculate:

Power: P=R*I^2=7.39e8 Watt
Heat (Joule): Q = P*t=2.217J
Termal Jump: DT = Q / (Cs*Mass) = 692.6 K

I see that temperature is crazy...

Related to Solenoid (single or multi turn) and forces

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a cylindrical coil of wire with an iron core. When an electric current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to generate forces and motions.

2. How does a solenoid generate forces?

When an electric current passes through a solenoid, it generates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of other objects, such as magnets or metal objects. This interaction can create a force that can move or attract/repel objects.

3. What is the difference between a single turn solenoid and a multi-turn solenoid?

A single turn solenoid has only one loop of wire, while a multi-turn solenoid has multiple loops of wire. This means that a multi-turn solenoid can generate a stronger magnetic field and therefore a stronger force compared to a single turn solenoid.

4. Can a solenoid be used to lift objects?

Yes, a solenoid can be used to lift objects by creating a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the object. However, the strength of the solenoid and the weight of the object will determine how much force can be applied.

5. How can the force of a solenoid be increased?

The force of a solenoid can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current passing through the coil, or using a stronger material for the core of the solenoid. Additionally, the distance between the solenoid and the object can also affect the force generated.