Solenoid Field Strength - Missing Raduis?

In summary, a solenoid field is a magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire wound into a coil shape. The missing radius, or distance from the center of the coil to the outside edge, determines the strength and shape of the field. It can be calculated or measured using specialized equipment and affects the performance of solenoids in various applications. A larger missing radius results in a stronger and more precise field, while a smaller missing radius may be more suitable for compact and uniform fields.
Euler2718

Homework Statement

A long solenoid has 35 turns/cm. With a current of 4.0A, what is the field strength at the core?

Homework Equations

[tex] \beta = \frac{\mu N I}{2r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea with the radius is; that's the entire problem statement above.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you gave is for a circular coil of short length. A different formula applies to the long solenoid. Check your notes or textbook.

Likes Euler2718
Using Ampere's law, we can derive the magnetic field inside a solenoid. It is B = u_o i n, where n is turns/length

Likes Euler2718

Related to Solenoid Field Strength - Missing Raduis?

1. What is a solenoid field and how is it created?

A solenoid field is a magnetic field that is created by a current-carrying wire that is wound into a coil or helix shape. This creates a strong and uniform magnetic field within the coil.

2. What is the missing radius in a solenoid field and why is it important?

The missing radius in a solenoid field refers to the distance from the center of the coil to the outside edge of the coil. It is important because it determines the strength and shape of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

3. How is the solenoid field strength affected by the missing radius?

The solenoid field strength is directly proportional to the missing radius. This means that as the missing radius increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases. However, the shape of the magnetic field may also change as the missing radius varies.

4. How can the missing radius be calculated or measured?

The missing radius can be calculated by using the formula R = √((N * I)/B), where R is the missing radius, N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, and B is the strength of the magnetic field. The missing radius can also be measured using specialized equipment such as a Gaussmeter.

5. How does the missing radius affect the applications of solenoids?

The missing radius plays a crucial role in the performance of solenoids in various applications. For example, in electromagnetic valves, a larger missing radius can result in a stronger and more precise magnetic field, allowing for better control of fluid flow. In contrast, a smaller missing radius may be more suitable for applications such as electromagnets used in MRI machines, where a more compact and uniform magnetic field is needed.