Solenoid B field lines question

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the path of the magnetic field in a solenoid with a metal rod and winding in the middle. They want the field to come out of the rod at the surface side rather than the ends and are wondering if placing the solenoid in a slightly larger metal pipe would achieve this. They also want the field between the rod and pipe to be perpendicular to the surface. The individual has attached a drawing for reference and suggests using a numerical simulation package for analysis.
Salvador
Hi, I wonder what would the path of magnetic field be in my case.I have a solenoid , it's a metal rod that has a winding in the middle of it, I need the magnetic field to come out of the rod not at the ends of it as is usually shown in pictures but at the surface side along each end of the metal rod.If I place the solenoid in a metal pipe with a slightly larger diameter would most of the field lines then exit the solenoid after the winding end at each side and enter the outer metal encasing to flow back to the other side?
I need the field between the rod and the outer pipe to be perpendicular to the surface so my question is will this arrangement do this?
I have attached a crude drawing of the supposed idea.

Thank you.
tinums.png

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

One reason you aren't getting replies is that the behavior of magnetic field lines in the presence of iron is highly non-linear, and often the results are non-intuitive. (One example is that iron cores can saturate in some regions where the B field is intense. This alters the behavior everywhere, both elsewhere in the core as well as outside, and potentially even in your outer flux return structure.) This problem is a good candidate for analysis using one of the standard numerical simulation packages (Ansys or COMSOL, e.g.)

Related to Solenoid B field lines question

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a cylindrical coil of wire with an electric current flowing through it. It produces a magnetic field that can be used for a variety of applications, such as in electronic devices and magnetic locks.

2. How are B field lines related to a solenoid?

B field lines, or magnetic field lines, are used to represent the direction and strength of a magnetic field. In the case of a solenoid, the B field lines are parallel to the axis of the coil and form a uniform magnetic field inside the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the B field lines of a solenoid?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the material of the core of the solenoid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How do B field lines behave outside of a solenoid?

Outside of a solenoid, the B field lines will start to spread out and become weaker as they move further away from the coil. This is due to the magnetic field being less concentrated and more spread out in space.

5. Can B field lines be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the B field lines can be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field in a solenoid. The B field lines always point in the direction of the magnetic field, so by looking at the orientation of the lines, you can determine the direction of the magnetic field inside and outside of the solenoid.