Solenoid and Proton Motion: Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

In summary, the proton will move clockwise around a solenoid with a magnetic field in the +z direction.
Cade
[Solved] Proton orbit direction

Homework Statement

A solenoid has a magnetic field in the +z direction. A proton in the center of the solenoid moves towards the sides sides of the solenoid. Will this proton move with a clockwise or counterclockwise motion?

Homework Equations

F = qv x B
B in a solenoid = (u0)(n)(I)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware of the right hand rule?

Which rule, the one for the cross product (F=qv*B) or the screw rule (magnetic field direction around a current-carrying wire)?

For the cross product

Oh, as I move out from the center, that's where I get v from... B is known, so F tells me the direction around the center. Got it, thanks. :smile:

Yep :-) What direction did you get, out of interest?

Looking from the origin down +z: if v moves left and B moves into the page, F goes down. This is counterclockwise. Alternatively, if v is moving right, the force on it pushes it up, so it's counterclockwise.

But if I look from somewhere down the +z axis towards the origin, it appears to spin in the opposite direction even though the forces at those points are the same.

Usually questions like this are asking if you are looking down onto it (if the proton is at the origin, you are at +z). Also, I thought the question says that the B field is is in a +z direction?

If I'm at the origin and I look down the +z axis, B appears to go into the page. I wrote both answers, one is if I'm at the origin and the proton is further along the z axis. The second is when I'm somewhere down the z axis looking in the opposite direction as the first case, and the proton is at the origin.

Now I see! That seems fine.

Great, that's done. :smile:

Related to Solenoid and Proton Motion: Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

1. What is the direction of a proton's orbit?

The direction of a proton's orbit is determined by the direction of the magnetic field in which it is moving. In most cases, protons will orbit in a counterclockwise direction.

2. How does the direction of a proton's orbit affect its behavior?

The direction of a proton's orbit affects its behavior in a magnetic field. Depending on the direction of the field and the speed of the proton, the orbit can become more elliptical or even spiral inwards towards the center.

3. Can the direction of a proton's orbit change?

Yes, the direction of a proton's orbit can be altered by external forces such as collisions or changes in the magnetic field. However, the direction will always be perpendicular to the magnetic field lines.

4. Why is the direction of a proton's orbit important in particle accelerators?

The direction of a proton's orbit is important in particle accelerators because it allows scientists to control the motion of the particles. By changing the direction of the magnetic field, the speed and trajectory of the protons can be adjusted to achieve desired results in experiments.

5. How is the direction of a proton's orbit related to its spin?

The direction of a proton's orbit is related to its spin, which is an intrinsic property of the particle. The spin of a proton determines the direction of its magnetic moment, which in turn influences the direction of its orbit in a magnetic field.