Solar physics: coronal holes & sunspot cycles

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between corneal holes and the sunspot cycle, particularly during solar minimum. The participants have noticed a decline in sunspot frequency but no change in corona hole frequency. A paper is mentioned that may provide more information on the subject but it primarily focuses on the location of coronal holes during the solar cycle. Further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between corneal holes and the sunspot cycle.
windy miller
Does anyone know if there is a relationship between corneal holes and the sunspot cycle?
As we move in now towards solar minimum should we expect to see a big decline in corona holes?
I have noticed a lot less sun spots over the last few months but the frequency of coronal holes seems to be unchanged, but this just my unscientific impression
Any real knowledge much appreciated

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you for posting this , I had a brief read but it appears to be taking about the location of coronal holes during the solar cycle, not so much the frequency. or did i miss that?

windy miller said:
Thank you for posting this , I had a brief read but it appears to be taking about the location of coronal holes during the solar cycle, not so much the frequency. or did i miss that?

true, it didn't really get into that much ... info seems to be sparse and ones that hinted with the info are behind paywalls :frown:

I will keep an eye out for anything more substantial :smile:

Dave

Related to Solar physics: coronal holes & sunspot cycles

1. What are coronal holes?

Coronal holes are areas on the sun's surface where the magnetic field is weaker, allowing for the escape of charged particles known as solar wind.

2. How do coronal holes affect Earth?

The solar wind from coronal holes can cause disturbances in Earth's magnetic field, leading to geomagnetic storms and auroras.

3. What are sunspot cycles?

Sunspot cycles are the periodic variations in the number and activity of sunspots on the sun's surface. They follow an 11-year cycle and can affect space weather on Earth.

4. How do sunspot cycles impact Earth?

Sunspot cycles can impact Earth's climate, as well as cause disruptions in satellite and radio communications due to increased solar activity.

5. Can solar physics research help predict space weather?

Yes, studying coronal holes and sunspot cycles can help scientists make predictions about space weather events, allowing for better preparedness and protection of technological systems on Earth.