Solar cell (recording the power)

In summary, the speaker attempted to calculate the power of a solar cell by connecting it to an ammeter and voltmeter in series. However, the ammeter showed 0.00 while the voltmeter showed 0.56 volts. After adding a resistor in series, there was still no reading on the ammeter and the speaker asks if there is another way to calculate the power without finding the current. The response suggests measuring the power output of the cell by connecting various resistors and using a digital multimeter to measure the voltage. It also mentions the importance of using a load with the cell and the difference between measuring voltage and current with a DMM.
hulk78
I tried today to calculate the power that the solar cell produced, connecting it to an ammeter(digital) and a voltmeter(digital) in series, my initial idea was to use the P=IV formula. However as i carried out the experiment the ammeter gave a showed 0.00 whilst the voltmeter showed 0.56 volts.Then i tired to place a resistor in series to increase the resistance of the circuit to see wether the ammeter showed any reading however there where still 0.00 .Is there any other way to calculate the power of the solar cell without having to find the current?
If so could could someone explain how thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Voltmeters go in parallel, not series. They have very, very high resistance (ideally, infinite resistance).

You have a device that you are running with the solar cell right? Some kind of load? (besides the voltmeter)

hulk78 said:
I tried today to calculate the power that the solar cell produced, connecting it to an ammeter(digital) and a voltmeter(digital) in series, my initial idea was to use the P=IV formula. However as i carried out the experiment the ammeter gave a showed 0.00 whilst the voltmeter showed 0.56 volts.Then i tired to place a resistor in series to increase the resistance of the circuit to see wether the ammeter showed any reading however there where still 0.00 .Is there any other way to calculate the power of the solar cell without having to find the current?
If so could could someone explain how thanks in advance.

As ModusPwnd points out, you need to get your instrumentation corrected, and you need to have a load connected to the cell.

The ammeter has a small series resistance, but it is probably too small to be used for the load itself. Be aware that the power you can get out of a solar cell depends on the operating point (V,I) where it is biased. If you want to measure the efficiency, you should try it at several different operating points (more or less output load), to see where it seems to operate best.

For measuring the power output of a single solar cell, follow these instructions for solar panels. The one difference is that you will not need “power” resistors...1/4 watt resistors will be adequate.

“The method of measuring the power output of a solar panel is to connect resistors of various values to the panel and measure the voltage. The measurements can be used to calculate the power output. The same measurements can be used to plot the power output and create a performance graph for the panel.
A digital multimeter for measuring DC voltage is required for this test. An assortment of power resistors is also needed. In practice, each power resistor is connected to the panel and the voltage is measured with the meter, as shown in the drawing.”

http://www.mtmscientific.com/solarpanel.html

ModusPwnd said:
Voltmeters go in parallel, not series. They have very, very high resistance (ideally, infinite resistance).

You have a device that you are running with the solar cell right? Some kind of load? (besides the voltmeter)

Thank you, 100% agree (as if that matters to you :-p) Voltages of cells are known and given per type of cells. Typical cells are grouped into one of three classes with the known efficiency of each categorical expected.

The load would depend on the amount of resistance in parallel or series.

Here, read up on these:

Monocrystalline, polycrystalline & amorphous sillicin.

Just as a side note. Voltages are measured with a DMM by shorting to ground in parallel. Depending on the type of DMM you are using (digital multimeter) you must measure amps in series. This is terrible most of the time so it's easiest to use an amp clamp. Simply open the clamp and engulf the wire. Careful on your use of power in the electrical sense since power is understood as a measurement of energy typ in heat (or a watt.)

Related to Solar cell (recording the power)

1. How do solar cells work?

Solar cells work by converting sunlight into electricity through a process called the photovoltaic effect. When sunlight hits the solar cell, it excites the electrons in the cell's semiconductor material, causing them to flow and create an electric current. This current can then be used to power devices or stored in a battery for later use.

2. What materials are used to make solar cells?

The most common material used in solar cells is silicon, which is a semiconductor. Other materials such as cadmium telluride, copper indium gallium selenide, and perovskite are also used in different types of solar cells.

3. How efficient are solar cells?

The efficiency of a solar cell refers to the percentage of sunlight that it can convert into electricity. The efficiency of solar cells can vary depending on the type and quality, but the average efficiency of commercial solar cells is around 15-20%. However, some advanced solar cells can reach efficiencies of over 40%.

4. How much power can a solar cell produce?

The power output of a solar cell depends on several factors such as the size and efficiency of the cell, the amount of sunlight it receives, and external factors like shading or temperature. On average, a standard solar cell can produce about 1 to 2 watts of power per square inch.

5. Can solar cells work without direct sunlight?

Solar cells can still work without direct sunlight, but their efficiency will be reduced. Cloudy or overcast weather can still provide enough sunlight for solar cells to generate electricity, but their output will be lower compared to a clear, sunny day. Additionally, some solar cells are designed to work with indoor lighting, but their efficiency is significantly lower compared to outdoor sunlight.