Software to draw specific triangles?

In summary: SketchUp does not require that you know the triangles height or area to draw the specific triangle. All you need to do is input the 3 edge lengths and SketchUp will generate the triangles for you.
morbank
Hello, I am working on a project that involves using 2D triangles to build 3D models and I am looking for software that will allow me to draw 2D triangles based on the triangles 3 edge lengths (ex: 4 cm x 5 cm x 3 cm). Most of the software I have found requires knowing either the triangles height or area (which I don't have) to draw the specific triangle. Because I need to draw several hundred triangles for this project I was hoping someone here might know of a solution that would allow me to input just the triangles 3 edge lengths and avoid needing to calculate each triangles height as well. I will also need to be able to print out the triangles at scale.

Thanks,
morbank

Physics news on Phys.org
I found this online interactive triangle calculator that allows you to input the 3 edge lengths but it doesn't use inches or centimeters so I am unable to print the triangles at scale. Anyone else have some leads?

morbank

Some printers have built-in language interpreters. Postscript(tm) is one. PCL(tm) is Hp's. You can learn a bit and write programs for direct execution by the printer to control the bits you put on paper. I used to have a 75 pound Postscript printer in the corner and when I just could not get a graphic to be exactly the way I needed I would write a page or two of Postscript code to pump out the piece of paper I wanted.

I've never looked at PCL but I think it is very likely that you could write a handful of lines to generate exactly the triangle that you want to see.

I have found the advantage of writing raw page description code directly to the printer is that there are at least several fewer layers of software, all of which thinking they know better than you what should actually be sent to the next layer. You have more responsibility for writing exactly what you want painted, but you get what you ask for down to the individual pixel resolution.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I'll take a look.

morbank

morbank said:
Most of the software I have found requires knowing either the triangles height or area (which I don't have) to draw the specific triangle.

Those are easy to find with a programmable calculator or a spreadsheet.

Area ##\sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)}## where ##s = (a + b + c)/2##

and then height = ##2 \times \text{area} / \text{base}##

Driving Directions for SketchUp does exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for everyones help.

morbank

Related to Software to draw specific triangles?

1. What is software to draw specific triangles?

Software to draw specific triangles is a computer program or application that allows users to create and manipulate triangles on a digital canvas. It typically includes features such as drawing tools, shape customization, and measurement tools.

2. How do I use software to draw specific triangles?

Using software to draw specific triangles is typically a simple and intuitive process. Most programs have a user-friendly interface with tools and menus for creating and editing triangles. You can usually click and drag to draw a triangle, and use the tools to adjust its size, shape, and position.

3. Can I draw different types of triangles with this software?

Yes, most software to draw specific triangles allows you to draw various types of triangles, such as equilateral, isosceles, right, and scalene. Some programs also have the option to create unique or irregular triangles by adjusting the angles and sides manually.

4. Is it possible to add text or labels to the triangles I draw?

Many software options do allow you to add text or labels to the triangles you draw. This can be useful for labeling and organizing your diagrams or presentations. You can usually do this by selecting the text tool and clicking on the triangle to add your desired text.

5. Can I export or save the triangles I draw with this software?

Yes, most software to draw specific triangles allows you to export or save your creations in various formats, such as PNG, JPEG, or SVG. This allows you to use your triangles in other projects or share them with others.