Software Engineering: Scope, Pay & Job Demand

In summary, the conversation highlights the speaker's struggle with their current major in EE and their interest in switching to software engineering due to their love for programming. However, they are concerned about job prospects and pay in the field of software engineering. According to various sources, the job outlook for software engineers is actually positive and the starting salary is typically above 40k. It is important for the speaker to research and develop their skills in order to increase their chances of getting hired in the future.
robin105
I'm currently majoring in EE, and it's my first semester and I realized the math class I am in is like so far behind what I am suppose to be in. I know EE is a GREAT job, lots of money, lots of job demand (lots of people want to hire you), and such and such, but the math and physics is extremely intense, and I am already so far behind.

So I wanted to switch my major to Software Engineering. Now the good thing about software engineering is that it's all programming, and I LOVE PROGRAMMING. It's like my second nature, I just get it naturally (unlike math). Even if I don't know a language, it only takes me a few days to learn it.

But the problem is, everyones been saying how there hasn't been much hiring for software engineers. The job demand is bad, and pay isn't that great either. Now compared to EE, I know SE sucks, but I want to know how much scope there is with SE.

I was wondering about your opinions and facts about SE. What do you think about SE?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"I was wondering about RSC's opinions and facts about SE (PLEASE FACTS ONLY!). Is the job that bad? Will I get hired in 4 years? Will I be working for under 40k? So, help please. "

How do you expect to get factual answers to these questions?

I don't know who RSC is, but his advice is all wrong. All it takes is a quick search for "software engineer job outlook" to see. (BTW, learning how to look things up quickly, knowing the right keywords to use is an important skill. Hone that skill. OK, rant off.)

Just a couple of a myriad of hits:

The Computer Science job outlook: Myths and Truths, http://www.cis.udel.edu/jobs/market/
Myth: If you major in Computer Science you can't find a job. All the jobs are gone, or have moved to India. Truth: Computer Science is one of the fastest growing job fields. Simultaneously, enrollment is down, because folks believe the myth. Result: for those who do choose Computer Science, prospects look very good.​

Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Computer Software Engineers and Computer Programmers, http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos303.htm
Overall, employment of computer software engineers and computer programmers is projected to increase much faster than the average for all occupations. Job prospects should be best for those with a bachelor's degree and relevant experience.​
Note also that this page is very careful to distinguish between professional software engineers and professional computer programmers. Professional software engineers oftentimes do not do computer programming. In a large organization a design team will get a project going. Once it is up to speed they move along to some other project and a development team will take over. A testing team will work hand-in-hand with the design team to design tests that will ensure the system being built behaves as expected. The design and testing teams are the purview of software engineering. The development team, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:
Professional software engineers oftentimes do not do computer programming.
But the major often has more programming classes than a pure CS degree.

I'm currently majoring in EE, and it's my first semester and I realized the math class I am in is like so far behind what I am suppose to be in.
So take a summer to catch up, and if your school isn't too expensive remember that engineering usually takes about 5 years. If you like programming, look into computer engineering. Unless you don't actually like EE, then walk away before you end up all jaded and cynical about it.

"I was wondering about RSC's opinions and facts about SE (PLEASE FACTS ONLY!). Is the job that bad? Will I get hired in 4 years? Will I be working for under 40k? So, help please. "
Depends a lot on the job market in four years, where you're looking, and what kind of job skills (internships and the like) you've picked up along the way. Generally though, I've seen lots of openings for software engineers at lots of startups and big companies and the starting salary is over 40k.

I can provide some insight into the field of software engineering. First, I want to address your concerns about the math and physics requirements in EE. While these subjects may be challenging, they are essential for understanding the fundamental principles of engineering and are necessary for success in the field. However, if you are truly passionate about programming and feel that software engineering is a better fit for you, then it may be worth considering switching majors.

In terms of job demand and pay, it is true that there has been some fluctuation in the software engineering job market in recent years. However, software engineering is still a rapidly growing field, with a projected job growth rate of 21% from 2018 to 2028, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Additionally, the average salary for a software engineer in the United States is around $90,000 per year, which is higher than the average salary for EE. Of course, these numbers can vary depending on location, experience, and specific job roles.

One factor to consider is the specific industry you are interested in working in. While there may be some variation in job demand and pay for software engineers, certain industries, such as technology and healthcare, tend to have a higher demand for software engineers and may offer higher salaries.

In terms of scope, software engineering is a broad field with a lot of potential for growth and advancement. As technology continues to evolve and become more integrated into our daily lives, the demand for skilled software engineers will only continue to increase. There are also opportunities for specialization within the field, such as mobile app development, web development, and data science, which can lead to higher salaries and job satisfaction.

In summary, while there may be some challenges and fluctuations in the software engineering job market, the field offers a lot of potential for growth and a fulfilling career for those with a passion for programming. It is important to carefully consider your interests and strengths when choosing a major, and to continue to stay updated on industry trends and opportunities for growth and advancement.

Related to Software Engineering: Scope, Pay & Job Demand

What is software engineering?

Software engineering is a branch of computer science that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of software systems. It involves applying engineering principles and methodologies to create high-quality software products.

What is the scope of software engineering?

The scope of software engineering is vast and constantly expanding. It encompasses various areas such as software development, testing, maintenance, project management, and quality assurance. With the increasing use of technology in almost every industry, the demand for software engineering skills is also growing, providing a wide range of career opportunities.

What is the average pay for software engineers?

The average pay for software engineers varies depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median pay for software developers in 2020 was $110,140 per year. However, top earners in the field can make over $166,960 per year.

Is there a high demand for software engineers?

Yes, there is a high demand for software engineers. With the increasing use of technology and software in every aspect of our lives, the demand for skilled software engineers is constantly growing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of software developers is projected to grow 22% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

What skills are required for a career in software engineering?

To be successful in a career in software engineering, some essential skills include a strong understanding of programming languages, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, having knowledge of different software development methodologies, such as Agile and Scrum, can also be beneficial.