Can You Help Me Solve This Tricky Integral?

• Thread starter philipc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral involving exponential and algebraic functions. The participants suggest using substitution to simplify the problem and find the correct answer.
philipc
just wonder if someone could help me solve this integral,
thanks

(e^-2x) / (1+e^-x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you integrate (t2) / (1 + t)? I'm guessing that's how you should do it, since I don't really know... :tongue:

philipc said:
just wonder if someone could help me solve this integral,
thanks

(e^-2x) / (1+e^-x)

Do some algebraic manipulation of the original problem. If you do, the problem wil reduce to a form that allows U substitution.

I think Chen was on the right track, ie, use substitution t = e^-x
but don't forget about dx -- should come to a much simpler integration

k..substitute u = (1 + e^-x)...then find du...work from there...and you should get the correct answer...
...hint...remember that u-1 = e^-x...

What is the definition of the integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x)?

The integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x) represents the area under the curve of the function (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x) from x=0 to x=∞.

What is the general formula for solving integrals involving exponential functions?

The general formula for solving integrals involving exponential functions is: ∫e^ax dx = (1/a)e^ax + C, where a is a constant and C is the constant of integration.

How do you solve the integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x)?

To solve the integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x), we can use the substitution method. Let u = 1+e^-x, then du=-e^-x dx. Substituting into the integral, we get ∫(e^-2x) / (1+e^-x) dx = ∫(1/u) (-du) = -ln(u) + C = -ln(1+e^-x) + C.

What is the significance of the constant of integration in the integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x)?

The constant of integration represents the unknown value that is added to the result of the integral. This is because when we take the derivative of a constant, it equals 0. In the case of indefinite integrals, we must always include the constant of integration in the solution.

Is the integral (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x) convergent or divergent?

Since the function (e^-2x) / (1+e^-x) approaches 0 as x approaches ∞, the integral is convergent. This means that the area under the curve is finite and can be calculated using the given formula.