Sodium sulfite solubility question

In summary, for the first question, the mass percent concentration of a saturated solution of Na2SO3 at 20 degrees celcius is 21%. For the second question, the amount of Na2SO3 * 7H2O soluble in 50g water at 20 degrees celcius is 37g. To calculate these answers, you need to use the equation for finding the mass percent of Na2SO3 and the assumption that the solution is saturated with 27g of Na2SO3.
yspams
I have a large exam tomorrow in chemistry and know how to do most problems on my practice test except these two

If the solubility of sodium sulfite (Na2SO3) is 27(g/100g water) at 20 degrees celcius, what is the mass percent concentration of the saturated solution of Na2SO3 at 20 degrees celcius?

How many grams of Na2SO3 * 7H2O is soluble in 50g water at 20 degrees celcius?

the answer to the first question is 21 and the 2nd answer is 37 but for the life of me I can't figure out how they got these answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, mass percent of Na2SO3 = mass of Na2SO3 / total mass of solution. If you assume you have a saturated solution with 27 g Na2SO3, what's the total mass of the solution? Then you'll need this result for the next one.

The second one is a little tricky since you're working with the added water in Na2SO3·7H2O. Use the equation for finding the mass percent of Na2SO3 while using x for the moles of Na2SO3 and Na2SO3·7H2O; this mass percent of Na2SO3 must be equal to the mass percent you got for the first problem.

Related to Sodium sulfite solubility question

1. What is the solubility of sodium sulfite?

The solubility of sodium sulfite varies depending on the temperature and the solvent it is being dissolved in. At room temperature, it has a solubility of 27.9 g/100 mL in water.

2. Is sodium sulfite soluble in organic solvents?

No, sodium sulfite is only soluble in water and not in organic solvents.

3. What is the chemical formula for sodium sulfite?

The chemical formula for sodium sulfite is Na2SO3.

4. How does temperature affect the solubility of sodium sulfite?

As temperature increases, the solubility of sodium sulfite also increases. This means that more sodium sulfite can dissolve in water at higher temperatures.

5. What happens when sodium sulfite is mixed with an acid?

When sodium sulfite is mixed with an acid, it reacts to form sodium bisulfite, which is more soluble in water. This reaction also produces sulfur dioxide gas.