Sodium Pentobarbital titration

In summary, the conversation is about the titration of a sodium pentobarbital solution with 0.1M HCl. The initial addition of HCl caused the formation of a white precipitate, which disappeared when more HCl was added. The reaction involved is C11H17N2O3- + H3O+ -> C11H18N2O3 + H2O. The white precipitate is a di-imide, which is acidic and can easily lose a proton to form an alkali metal salt. When more HCl is added, the pH drops and the di-imide reacts with another H3O+ ion, forming a di-imide salt. However, the reaction proposed by sav,
savagefarmer
Hello everyone,

Today I witnessed the titration of a sodium pentobarbital solution with 0.1M HCl. At first, a lot of white precipitate was formed. When more HCl was added the white precipitate disappeared again completely.

Now I am trying to figure out what is going on. As I understand it the reaction is:

C11H17N2O3- + H3O+ -> C11H18N2O3 + H2O

And the white precipitate is C11H18N2O3. What I don't understand is why the precipitate disappears again when more HCl is added and the pH drops.

Thanks for any advice!

-sav

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Seems to be start of a discussion at << link to CF discussion thread deleted by Mod >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, is there a policy against cross-posting on two entirely different forums?

Not per se, but many frequent both; so it may be wise to mention that you've also posted elsewhere

Ok sorry about that, I didn't realize that there would be a big overlap. I'll leave this up for now and hope for some pointers :)

You will note that this is a di-imide. Imides are generally fairly acidic so the proton attached to the nitrogen is easily replaced with alkali metals like sodium. You have the first step down but what might that second proton do?

I just read about imides and di-imides, but I'm still clueless about the role they play in this. My guess was that the pentobarbital reacted with another H3O+ ion when a lot of HCl was added and the pH dropped further:

C11H17N2O3- + H3O+ → C11H16N2O32- + H2O

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
sav

savagefarmer said:
I just read about imides and di-imides, but I'm still clueless about the role they play in this. My guess was that the pentobarbital reacted with another H3O+ ion when a lot of HCl was added and the pH dropped further:

C11H17N2O3- + H3O+ → C11H16N2O32- + H2O

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
sav

Sorry that reaction is wrong, it would be:

C11H18N2O3 + H3O+ → C11H19N2O3+ + H2O

Related to Sodium Pentobarbital titration

1. What is Sodium Pentobarbital titration?

Sodium Pentobarbital titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution of Sodium Pentobarbital. It involves slowly adding a known concentration of another solution, called a titrant, to the Sodium Pentobarbital solution until a chemical reaction occurs. By measuring the amount of titrant used, the concentration of the Sodium Pentobarbital can be calculated.

2. Why is Sodium Pentobarbital titration used?

Sodium Pentobarbital titration is used to accurately measure the concentration of Sodium Pentobarbital in a solution. This information is important for researchers and scientists who need to know the exact amount of the substance they are working with in order to conduct experiments and studies.

3. What are the materials needed for Sodium Pentobarbital titration?

The materials needed for Sodium Pentobarbital titration include a burette, pipette, beaker, Sodium Pentobarbital solution, titrant solution, indicator solution, and a laboratory balance. The burette and pipette are used to accurately measure and transfer the solutions, while the indicator solution helps determine when the titration reaction is complete.

4. What is the process of performing a Sodium Pentobarbital titration?

The first step in performing a Sodium Pentobarbital titration is to accurately measure a known volume of the Sodium Pentobarbital solution into a beaker. Then, a small amount of indicator solution is added to the beaker. The titrant solution is slowly added to the solution in the beaker, while constantly swirling the beaker. The titration is complete when the indicator changes color, indicating that the reaction is finished. The amount of titrant used is recorded, and the concentration of the Sodium Pentobarbital solution can be calculated using a formula.

5. What are the potential sources of error in Sodium Pentobarbital titration?

Potential sources of error in Sodium Pentobarbital titration include inaccurate measurement or transfer of solutions, incorrect calibration of equipment, and human error in recording data. It is important to carefully follow the proper procedures and double-check measurements to minimize these sources of error and ensure accurate results.