War will last for Months: How do you feel now?

• News
  • Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the initial expectations of a swift war and how those expectations have now shifted to a longer, more drawn out conflict. There is discussion about the toll on civilians, the potential length of the war, and the support for the troops. Some individuals express their belief that the war is necessary to remove Saddam Hussein from power and prevent further atrocities, while others are concerned about the potential loss of civilian lives. Overall, there is still a strong support for the troops but also a recognition that the war may not be as quick as originally thought.
N_Quire
This is not going to be a swift war as the non-military journalists and pundits had expected. Perhaps some politicians such as Cheney are to blame too for trying to sell the idea of a swift war before it all started.

It now looks as though the war is going to drag on for months. How do you feel about that? Is your support as strong? Will Bush be able to keep the public's support over the long haul? I hope so.

Physics news on Phys.org
It now looks as though the war is going to drag on for months. How do you feel about that?
I haven't made up my mind yet.
Is your support as strong?
Just as weak as ever.
Will Bush be able to keep the public's support over the long haul?
He may not, but I haven't been following the news either(as usual). I picture a siege around Bagdad where eventually the toll on civilians due to bombardment, starvation, etc. may soften hearts considerably. I think that if it plays out to this point that orders to storm the city will be given.

Maybe I'm dating myself..
but..
I still...
consider...
months...
to be..
a...
quick...
war...

Isn't it?

Boulderhead wrote: "I picture a siege around Bagdad where eventually the toll on civilians due to bombardment, starvation, etc. may soften hearts considerably. I think that if it plays out to this point that orders to storm the city will be given."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see a scenario where we want Saddam to try to use chemical/biological weapons so we have a good reason to destroy his forces without having to worry too much about civilian casualties.

It seems the concern with civilians is preventing the coalition from fighting as it really wants to, and it might be causing the war to drag on.

I guess all will be revealed in the battle for Baghdad.

Kat, I think if it goes on for more than three months, it will be the longest war since Vietnam (which lasted more than 10 years).

I support the troops,

not the war. they are just caught up in middle of a vendetta. I believe GW's polls will start dropping lower the longer the war goes on. He will probably do something else or commit the U.S. to another iladvised policy (I don't know what) to make them climb again.

I don't think anything that's happened in the past week has changed my opinion about the possible length of the war. People put too much stock in the resistance of a few fanatics. The real fighting hasn't started. It is about to.

It might be quick, or it might take months. I would never have supported a war that had to be over quickly. Too much can go wrong. Only an idiot would have supported the war, and then change their mind because it wasn't a death-free war. The press might have expected victory without fighting, but I haven't run into any real people who thought that.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
I don't think anything that's happened in the past week has changed my opinion about the possible length of the war. People put too much stock in the resistance of a few fanatics. The real fighting hasn't started. It is about to.

It might be quick, or it might take months. I would never have supported a war that had to be over quickly. Too much can go wrong. Only an idiot would have supported the war, and then change their mind because it wasn't a death-free war. The press might have expected victory without fighting, but I haven't run into any real people who thought that.

Njorl

Agreed. Furthermore, I (reluctantly) agreed with the reasons for this war. They have not changed. It makes me very sad to think that the death-toll will be higher and the suffering greater as the war grows longer, but I still see no alternative that isn't worse than the war. Saddam is a criminal. What do you do with a criminal? You Arrest him. What if he won't come peacefully? Take him by force. But if he really, really resists a whole lot... it still must be done.

War will last for Months: How do you feel now?

What i feel is irrelevant, the war will still go on. The best i can do is give support to the soldiers fighting in Iraq.

I never really bought the they-will-shower-the-occupying-troops-with-flowers stuff, so it doesn't change much. My main hope is that it will make Bush&Co. wise up a little, and maybe pay a little less attention to certain people *cough*-Rumsfeld-*cough*-Defense Policy Board.

Human Rights Watch says Saddam is responsible for murdering over 250,000 people.

They can take as much time as they need destroying that sorry son-of-a-bi-atch and his band of thugs.

Originally posted by Alias
Human Rights Watch says Saddam is responsible for murdering over 250,000 people.

They can take as much time as they need destroying that sorry son-of-a-bi-atch and his band of thugs.

I believe that number to be on the low end, I think estimates as high 1 million may be closer to the truth in the end. There are estimates of over 200 thousand missing alone.
Unfortunately, Saddam and his "thugs" apparently also view the Iraqi people as nothing more then a tool of war. So..I can't say that I feel okay saying..take your time if taking your time means more death/suffering longterm.

You're probably right. I was just thinking that maybe by taking their time, they might save more civilian lives. Which ever works best, I guess.

I agree with Alias though I must admit it now appears to me that it will take longer than I initially expected. I expected about 2 weeks after the start of the ground campaign. I still think though that it will be less than a month.

They didn't get to do all that bombing like back in Gulf 1, and that has an effect on a soldier’s willingness to fight. Having lived through the embarrassment of all the defections/surrenders which occurred the first time I would not be surprised if less of it happens this time around. House to house fighting isn't going to be either enjoyable or fast, especially if the citizenry takes part in the fighting.

They didn't get to do all that bombing like back in Gulf 1, and that has an effect on a soldier’s willingness to fight.
The early start to the ground war was calculated to reduce the number of oil wells Saddam could torch. It must be remembered that though the first Gulf ground war took only about 100 hours, it was preceded by nearly a month of air war.

NEWS FLASH

New Yorker Magazine- 4/7/03- Seymour Hersh, Rumsfeld micro-managing war on Iraq. Undercutting military planners. I think he's going to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the current state of the war?

The war is ongoing and it is expected to last for months. As a scientist, I am constantly monitoring the situation and analyzing data to understand the impact of the war.

What factors contribute to the duration of the war?

There are many factors that can contribute to the duration of a war, such as the military strategies employed by each side, the availability of resources, and the political climate. It is a complex situation and it is difficult to pinpoint a single factor.

How do you think the war will affect the environment?

War has a devastating impact on the environment, as it involves the use of weapons and destruction of infrastructure. It can also lead to displacement of populations, which can result in deforestation and other environmental issues. It is important for scientists to closely monitor and document these effects.

What can be done to end the war sooner?

Ending a war is a complex and delicate process that involves diplomatic efforts, negotiations, and sometimes outside intervention. As a scientist, I am not directly involved in these processes, but I believe that promoting peace and understanding can help to bring an end to the war sooner.

How can we prevent wars from happening in the future?

Preventing wars requires addressing root causes, such as political, social, and economic inequalities. As a scientist, I believe that education and promoting critical thinking can also play a role in preventing conflicts and promoting peace.