Social Networking vs Social Media?

In summary: I believe social media is when you actively share information privately on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
ElectroViruz
Hey guys, I was given a task which is to present how social media works. After hours of preparing materials, I realized that the materials I've prepared are on how social networks work.

Then I started to Google to understand the difference between Social Media and Social Network. However, different sources have different definitions, and it isn't very clear.

Could anyone please explain the difference ? When I Google "How social media works", all I get is 'Social Network' instead.

Your reply is very much appreciated :)

*I'm not a very bright person.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What does media mean to you?

Do you think there has ever been networking before the advent of Facebook and the like?

Social networks in some form have existed way back into prehistory.
A village community, or even some organised cave dwellers are a social network.
Modern social media websites are just a particular case of social networking.

rootone said:
Rootone, did you figure I didn't know that? I was trying to lead HIM to that, not spoon feed him the answer.

My apologies, of course I expected you knew that phinds.
My intention was simply to directly answer the question, since I took it to be essentially just a question about clarification of English terminology.

rootone said:
My apologies, of course I expected you knew that phinds.
My intention was simply to directly answer the question, since I took it to be essentially just a question about clarification of English terminology.
Guess it could have been. I took it to be a more fundamental confusion, since he said he had read a fair amount about it but still didn't get it.

rootone said:
...I expected you knew that phinds.
Without a peer reviewed reference source... that statement could be considered speculation... :-p

Likes edward
The way I see it is quite simple. Social networking now includes the use of social media.

ElectroViruz said:
I realized that the materials I've prepared are on how social networks work.

What were those materials about, specifically?

rootone said:

edward said:
The way I see it is quite simple. Social networking now includes the use of social media.

Thanks a bunch ! That clears up some things.

jtbell said:
What were those materials about, specifically?

Well it's basically how Social Networks work on the Internet. And yes, I have found my embarrassing mistake after all these replies.

I was naive enough to think that the term 'network' only applies to tech systems, and fail to recognize the actual definition of it which is "a group or system of interconnected PEOPLE or things."

Greg Bernhardt said:
Social media is posted on a social network
Didn't you get that backwards? Social networks have been around since before social media existed. You are looking at it from the hardware point of view, I guess.

phinds said:
Social networks have been around since before social media existed.
Could be a matter of definitions

Related to Social Networking vs Social Media?

1. What is the difference between social networking and social media?

Social networking refers to the online platforms or applications that allow individuals to connect and interact with others, while social media refers to the content that is shared and distributed on these platforms.

2. Which one is more popular, social networking or social media?

Social media is more popular as it includes various types of content such as images, videos, and text that can be shared and consumed by a broader audience. Social networking, on the other hand, is limited to connecting and interacting with others.

3. Can social media be considered a form of social networking?

Yes, social media can be considered a form of social networking as it allows people to connect and interact with others, share information, and build relationships.

4. How do social networking and social media impact society?

Social networking and social media have a significant impact on society as they have transformed the way people communicate, access information, and build relationships. They have also played a role in shaping public opinion, influencing consumer behavior, and connecting people from different parts of the world.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with social networking and social media?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with social networking and social media, including cyberbullying, privacy breaches, and addiction. It is essential for users to be aware of these risks and take necessary precautions while using these platforms.