So what types of jobs can I expect with a physics degree?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the fear and uncertainty of the job prospects for someone majoring in physics and astrophysics. While it may be tough, there are still opportunities to transfer skills and find non-academic jobs. The conversation also mentions the idea of opening a Starbucks with coin operated telescopes as a potential career path.
GKDAIR
So, not going to lie I'm kinda scared about majoring in physics, I'm sure it will be very tough.

I plan on majoring in physics and then going for astrophysics while getting my doctorate. After spending all of this time in school i'll have jobs right? I mean I wouldn't think someone with a doctorate in Astrophysics would be a clerk at Starbucks but that's what I fear.

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't many jobs in astronomy; while it's a useful degree for many things, you simply can't plan on getting a job that requires you know astronomy.

I am *currently* headed down the same career path. You will inevitably have to learn to program along the way (don't fight it), which will be one of the more important skills physicists can transfer to any non-academic job.

Step 1: get PhD in astronomy

Step 2: Open Starbucks which also has coin operated telescopes

Step 3: ?

Step 4: Profit.

Last edited:

As a scientist with a degree in physics, I can assure you that there are many exciting and fulfilling career opportunities available for those with a background in physics. A degree in physics can lead to careers in a wide range of fields, including research, engineering, technology, finance, and education, among others.

With a doctorate in astrophysics, you can expect to have many job opportunities in the field of astrophysics itself, such as conducting research at universities or working for government agencies like NASA or the National Science Foundation. You may also have opportunities to work in the private sector, for companies that specialize in aerospace and defense, telecommunications, or energy.

In addition, a degree in physics can also open doors to careers in related fields, such as data science, computer programming, and finance. Many employers value the analytical and problem-solving skills that are developed through a physics degree, making physics graduates highly sought after in a variety of industries.

While it is natural to feel anxious about the challenges of majoring in physics, I can assure you that with hard work and determination, you will be well-prepared for a successful and rewarding career in a field that you are passionate about. So don't let your fears hold you back from pursuing your dreams and reaching your full potential as a physicist.

Related to So what types of jobs can I expect with a physics degree?

1. What types of industries can I work in with a physics degree?

Physics graduates can work in a variety of industries, including aerospace, energy, healthcare, technology, and research and development.

2. What are some specific job titles for physics graduates?

Some job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, medical physicist, and software developer.

3. Can I work in a non-science related field with a physics degree?

Yes, physics graduates possess a wide range of skills, such as problem-solving and analytical thinking, that make them attractive to employers in non-science related fields such as finance, consulting, and business management.

4. Do I need a graduate degree to get a job in physics?

While having a graduate degree may open up more job opportunities and higher salaries, there are still plenty of entry-level positions available for those with a bachelor's degree in physics.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics career?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and science, physics graduates need skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, computer programming, and communication. They should also be adaptable, curious, and detail-oriented.