So, V_F= 11m/sWhat is the speed of the potted plant after falling 6m?

In summary, The problem involves finding the final velocity of an object dropped from a 12m high ledge and falling 6m. The known data is the 6m drop from the 12m high ledge and the equations being used are Kinetic energy (1/2mv^2) and potential energy (mgh). The solution involves using the formula v2f=2gh, where the mass does not matter and will cancel out due to mechanical energy. After substituting in g=9.8m/ss and h=6m, the final answer is 11m/s with rounding due to significant figures. Another way to solve this is by using the equation v_f= SQRT(2*a*d), where the
mcHefner

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/664/photo4dc.jpg
Sorry it is sideways.

Only known data is the 6m drop from the 12m high ledge.

Homework Equations

Currently wokring with Kinetic energy (1/2mv^2), potential energy(mgh).

The Attempt at a Solution

My thinking is mass doesn't matter, it will cancel out due to the mechanical energy( if that makes sense). Therefore the equation to solve is v2f=2gh

Therefore after subbing in 9.81m/ss for g, 6m for h; my final answer is 11m/s with rounding because of sig figs.

Thank you for help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uh, do you think you could make that figure a little bigger ... I mean, I can almost see 25% of it at a time as it is.

I also got 11m/s, but found that answer in a less complicated way:

You know:
velocity_initial is 0m/s
Distance is 6m
Acceleration is 9.8m/ss

So:
velocity_final= SQRT(2*A*D)
V_F= SQRT(2*9.8*6)
V_F= 10.844m/s

Related to So, V_F= 11m/sWhat is the speed of the potted plant after falling 6m?

1. What factors affect the speed of a potted plant?

The speed of a potted plant is primarily affected by its species, environmental conditions, and care. Different plant species have varying growth rates, and factors such as temperature, humidity, and light levels can also impact a plant's growth. Proper watering, fertilization, and pruning can also contribute to a plant's speed of growth.

2. How can I measure the speed of a potted plant?

The speed of a potted plant can be measured by tracking its growth over time. This can be done by measuring the height or width of the plant, or by recording the number of leaves or flowers that have grown. Keep in mind that the speed of a plant's growth may vary depending on its life cycle and seasonal changes.

3. Can the speed of a potted plant be increased?

There are certain techniques and practices that can potentially increase the speed of a potted plant's growth. These include providing adequate sunlight, moisture, and nutrients, as well as regular pruning and repotting. However, each plant has its own natural growth rate, so it may not be possible to significantly increase its speed of growth.

4. What is considered a normal speed of growth for a potted plant?

The speed of growth for a potted plant can vary greatly depending on its species and environmental conditions. On average, most potted plants can grow anywhere from a few inches to a few feet per year. However, some plants may have a slower growth rate while others may grow at a faster pace.

5. Can the speed of a potted plant be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of a potted plant can be influenced by external factors such as pests, diseases, and extreme weather conditions. These can hinder a plant's growth and even cause it to die. It is important to regularly check and take care of your potted plants to ensure they are not being negatively impacted by external factors.

Back