So the spider can safely climb up the strand with no acceleration (0 m/s^2).

In summary: No, since the tension in the webbing is greater than the weight of the spider, the spider will climb.
Danielle_riv
Help Exam Tmr! 112 Physics *FORCES*

As you may have guessed from the title, I'm in a bit of a bind here. You see the website with the answers to the review questions I'm working on isn't working... and there's an exam tomorrow. Here's a few of the questions any help would be greatly appreciated.
--------
A 2.0kg fish is hooked on a line that rated to a max of 38 N. At one point, the fish pulls with 40 N of force (fish are weightless in water). What is the min acceration at which you must play out the line to avoid it from snapping?
---------
A 0.00021 kg spider is suspended from a thin strand of webbing. The greatest tension the strand can withstand without breaking is 0.002 N . What is the max acceleration with which the spider can safetly climb up the strand?

answers
ok so apparently i need to show my work so here goes:

for the fish question:
m= 2.0kg
Fmax=38N
Fxrt= 40N
a = ?

Fnet canot be more than 38N soo..
Fnet=ma
38=2.0a
a=19m/s2

that doesn't seem right to me... awfully fast to make up for 2 N wouldn't you think?
orr wait..

Fnet needs to be -2? so then..

-2=2.0a
a= -1m/s2

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE

----
See the problem with the spider question is this: the Fg of the spider ends up being the same as the max Force... but where Fg is also the net force i should be able to use F=ma... plug that in and you end up with 9.52m/s2... which seems to completely contradict that fact.?.?.?.
I mean wouldn't the spider only be able to hang there with no acceration at all, unless that is he goes down instead of up... so maybe the answer is -9.52?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:zzz: is anyone out there?

Force by the FISHING LINE (Tension) needs to be less than 38 N .
Force by the water (acting on the fish) is known.
Total Force acting on the fish (as your intuition had it) is 2N.
total F on fish = (m_fish)(a_fish)

The total Force acting on the spider looks very small,
maybe zero depending on the exact "g" value there.
so, T - mg = 0 = ma = 0

Related to So the spider can safely climb up the strand with no acceleration (0 m/s^2).

1. What is the format of the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics" exam?

The "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics" exam typically consists of multiple choice, short answer, and problem solving questions.

2. What topics are covered on the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics"?

The "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics" covers a range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves, and modern physics.

3. How can I best prepare for the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics"?

To prepare for the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics", it is important to review all of the material covered in class and to practice solving problems from past exams or textbook exercises.

4. How much time will I have to complete the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics"?

The time allotted for the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics" varies, but it is typically between 2-3 hours.

5. Will a calculator be allowed on the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics"?

Yes, a calculator will typically be allowed on the "Help Exam Tmr Gr 11 Physics". However, it is important to check with your teacher or exam instructions to ensure that the specific calculator you plan to use is allowed.

Back