So the position of the mass 3.760 s after it is released is 0.108 m.

In summary, the position of the mass 3.760 s after it is released is 0.108 m and the maximum acceleration it undergoes during its motion is \omega^2 A = 1.79 m/s^2.
delecticious

Homework Statement

A 23.0 kg block at rest on a horizontal frictionless air track is connected to the wall via a spring. The equilibrium position of the mass is defined to be at x=0. Somebody pushes the mass to the position x= 0.350 m, then let's go. The mass undergoes simple harmonic motion with a period of 4.70 s. What is the position of the mass 3.760 s after the mass is released?
prob25a_SpringShort.gif

prob25a_SpringLong.gif

Consider the same mass and spring discussed in the previous problem. What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration the mass undergoes during its motion?

Homework Equations

x = Acos(wt)
2piw = T

The Attempt at a Solution

first I plugged in the given T to find w to use in the first equation, but now I have two unknowns, A and t. I know it isn't .350 because that's the amplitude for the time of the period, the amplitude I should use should be less than that, but I have no idea how to find that. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
0.35 m is the maximum amplitude, A, with respect to the reference position.

Using x = A cos [itex]\omega[/itex]t, for t = 0, x(t=0) = A = 0.35 m.

4.70 s is the period T, and [itex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex].

So find the position at t = 3.760 s.

Last edited:
I'm still not seeing what to do. I found omega for the period T to be 1.34 rad/s, and I get that .35 is the max amplitude, but I'm not seeing how that helps me find A at 3.76 s

Let's look at the equation x = A cos [itex]\omega[/itex]t,

A = 0.35 m, [itex]\omega[/itex] = 1.34 rad/s, and we want to find x at t = 3.76 s

x (t= 3.76 s) = 0.35 m cos (1.34 rad/s * 3.76 s), and remember that the argument of the cos is rad, not degrees.

my calculator is in radian mode, I took .35 times cos(1.34*3.76), but I'm still not getting the right answer.

anyone still willing to help me?

please someone help!

Well the other part of this problem is where is the mass in terms of the phase (or phase angle) with respect to the periodic motion.

At full deflection, in this case 0.35 m, the phase angle is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].

The general form for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin ([itex]\omega[/itex]t + [itex]\theta[/itex]), where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular frequency and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the phase angle, and for [itex]\theta[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], the form becomes

x = A cos [itex]\omega[/itex]t, so at t = 0, x = A.

The time of 3.76 s represents 0.8 of the period T = 4.70 s.

So x (t = 3.76) = 0.35 m cos (2 pi * 0.8) = 0.35 m cos (1.6 pi) = 0.35 * 0.309 = 0.108 m.

Related to So the position of the mass 3.760 s after it is released is 0.108 m.

1. What is a mass on an air track?

A mass on an air track is a common setup used in physics experiments to study the properties of simple harmonic motion (SHM). It consists of a small object (usually a block or a cart) placed on a smooth track that is elevated above the surface using air pressure. This setup allows the mass to move with minimal friction, making it an ideal system to study SHM.

2. What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and acts in the opposite direction. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium position with a constant period and amplitude, similar to the motion of a pendulum or a mass on a spring.

3. How is the period of a mass on an air track determined?

The period of a mass on an air track can be determined by measuring the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation (from its starting point, to the right, to the left, and back to its starting point). This time can be measured using a stopwatch or a motion sensor. The period can also be calculated using the mass, the spring constant of the track, and the mass's displacement from the equilibrium position.

4. What factors affect the period of a mass on an air track?

The period of a mass on an air track is primarily affected by the mass, the spring constant of the track, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the mass. Other factors that may affect the period include air resistance, friction, and external forces such as gravity or magnetic fields.

5. How is the amplitude of a mass on an air track changed?

The amplitude of a mass on an air track can be changed by adjusting the starting position of the mass on the track. This can be done manually or by using a motion sensor to set the starting position at a specific point. The amplitude can also be changed by adjusting the track's angle or by adding weights to the mass to change its mass.