So the imaginary component is just -ωCVV*.

In summary: So the imaginary part of the complex number is simply -ωCVV*.As for your other question about the importance of complex numbers and phasors in circuits, they are useful for analyzing and representing AC circuits because they allow us to work with both the magnitude and phase of a signal at the same time. This makes it easier to manipulate and calculate the overall behavior of the circuit. Additionally, phasors allow us to represent sinusoidal signals as a single complex number, making the analysis more efficient. Not every circuit element has a corresponding phasor element, but in many cases, we can use the e^{jωt} term to represent the time-dependent behavior of the circuit element.
jeff1evesque
For the following, I was wondering if someone could help me determine the imaginary part of the complex number:
[tex]Im<GVV* - j\omega CVV*>[/tex], where [tex]V*[/tex] is the complex conjugate of [tex]V[/tex].

I was thinking the imaginary component would be [tex]-\omega CVV*.[/tex] But I am reluctant on the conclusion, because I am not sure if it would rather be [tex]\omega CVV*.[/tex]

Could someone enlighten me?

[Is there any chance someone could remind me why complex numbers and phasor's are important for circuits (practicality)? And does every circuit element have a corresponding phasor element, [tex]e^{j\omega t}?[/tex] ]

thanks,JL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jeff1evesque said:
For the following, I was wondering if someone could help me determine the imaginary part of the complex number:
[tex]Im<GVV* - j\omega CVV*>[/tex], where [tex]V*[/tex] is the complex conjugate of [tex]V[/tex].

I was thinking the imaginary component would be [tex]-\omega CVV*.[/tex] But I am reluctant on the conclusion, because I am not sure if it would rather be [tex]\omega CVV*.[/tex]

Could someone enlighten me?

[Is there any chance someone could remind me why complex numbers and phasor's are important for circuits (practicality)? And does every circuit element have a corresponding phasor element, [tex]e^{j\omega t}?[/tex] ]

thanks,

JL

What do you get when you multiply VV* ? Use a simple example to help you if necessary:

[tex](a+jb)(a-jb) = ??[/tex]

Is the result complex?

So the imaginary part of any expression is the part that is multiplied by j by definition (not -j). What then is the answer to your problem?

As for why complex numbers are handy for circuits and signals, one big reason is that you can represent both the magnitude and phase of a signal over time as a single complex quantity. You can manipulate the magnitudes and phases of multiple signals, and in the end figure out what the real-time output waveform looks like.

Hello, thanks for responding to my questions.

What do you get when you multiply VV* ?
You get [tex]|V|^{2}[/tex]

(a+jb)(a-jb) = ??
The answer would be [tex]a^{2} + b^{2}[/tex]

What then is the answer to your problem?
I think my answer would be [tex]\omega C|V|^{2}[/tex], but how does this follow from above?

Thanks again,Jeffrey

Last edited:
jeff1evesque said:
Hello, thanks for responding to my questions.

You get [tex]|V|^{2}[/tex]

The answer would be [tex]a^{2} + b^{2}[/tex]
Yes. Note that these are purely real numbers.

Complex numbers are a good way to represent the impedance -- that is, the ratio of voltage to current amplitudes in an AC circuit. Then the overall impedance of a mixed combination of resistors, capacitors, and inductors can be calculated using the same parallel & series combination rules for resistors that you are (hopefully) familiar with.

jeff1evesque said:
I think my answer would be [tex]\omega C|V|^{2}[/tex], but how does this follow from above?

Well, it means GVV* is purely real, and does not contribute to the imaginary part.

It also means ωCVV* is purely real, therefore -jωCVV* is purely imaginary.

Related to So the imaginary component is just -ωCVV*.

1. What are phasors and how are they used in science?

Phasors are mathematical tools used to represent the amplitude and phase of a sinusoidal wave. They are commonly used in electrical engineering and physics to analyze and solve problems involving alternating currents and voltages.

2. Why do phasors have an imaginary component?

Phasors have an imaginary component because they are represented using complex numbers, which have a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary component represents the phase of the wave, while the real component represents the amplitude.

3. How do you convert between phasor and time domain representations?

To convert from a phasor representation to a time domain representation, you can use the inverse Fourier transform. This will give you the equation for the wave in terms of time. To convert from a time domain representation to a phasor representation, you can use the Fourier transform.

4. Can phasors be used for non-sinusoidal waves?

Yes, phasors can be used for non-sinusoidal waves as long as the wave can be represented as a sum of sinusoidal waves using Fourier series. The phasor representation will then be the sum of the individual phasors for each component wave.

5. What is the significance of the angle of a phasor?

The angle of a phasor represents the phase of the wave, which is the shift in time between the wave and a reference point. It is measured in degrees or radians and determines the position of the phasor on the complex plane.