So, Lightning Decides to Strikes a Sphere

In summary: That means you will only be concerned with a fraction of the total charge in the dielectric sphere, and that fraction will change as R increases.In summary, a dielectric sphere with a relative permeability of 1.2 and conductivity of 10 S/m is struck by lightning, causing a uniform distribution of 1 mC of charge within the sphere. The electric field intensity and current density at all times are to be determined both inside and outside the sphere. The charge will redistribute itself over time, and the answer will be a piecewise function. This redistribution will only involve the free charge, not the bound charge within the dielectric.
mars3554

Homework Statement

1. Lightning strikes a dielectric sphere (Relative Permeability=1.2, Conductivity=10 S/m) of radius 0.1 m at time t=0, depositing uniformly in the sphere a total charge 1 mC. Determine for all t,
the electric field intensity - E(Volts/m) & current density - J(Ampere/m^2) both
inside and outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: J = 10 S/m(conductivity) * E
[So if I know one then I know the other]

Electric Field @ Distance R
E = (q[tex]\widehat{R}[/tex]) / (4 [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\epsilon[/tex] R [tex]^{2}[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know where to begin on this one. Almost all of my equations have to do with a dielectric object sitting inside of an E field. Does the charge go dissipate over time? If so then it is asking for an equation correct? Could this be modeled as a point charge in some way?

I'm not looking for an answer only a direction please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

The charge is initially distributed uniformly throughout the sphere's volume.

The sphere is isolated (apart from the initial lightning strike), so the charge does not go away. However, it will redistribute itself -- i.e. not be uniformly distributed within the volume.

Any thoughts on how/where the charge ends up as t→∞?

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to PF :smile:

The charge is initially distributed uniformly throughout the sphere's volume.

The sphere is isolated (apart from the initial lightning strike), so the charge does not go away. However, it will redistribute itself -- i.e. not be uniformly distributed within the volume.

Any thoughts on how/where the charge ends up as t→∞?

Thanks for the reply.

If it as first uniformly distributed, then it will only be that way at t=0 correct?
since it will redistribute afterwards, the answer will be a piecewise function?

I understand that a dielectric in a field causes a dipole, But I'm having trouble visualizing how a dielectric can store charge much less where it will store it. I was under the impression that the material is already "full" but the electrons will spend more time in one direction or are than another causing a moment to occur.

mars3554 said:
Thanks for the reply.

If it as first uniformly distributed, then it will only be that way at t=0 correct?
since it will redistribute afterwards, the answer will be a piecewise function?
Yes, and we are interested in the t≥0 part of the function.

I understand that a dielectric in a field causes a dipole, But I'm having trouble visualizing how a dielectric can store charge much less where it will store it. I was under the impression that the material is already "full" but the electrons will spend more time in one direction or are than another causing a moment to occur.
The dielectric charge stays within the dielectric, but is "redistributed" in the presence of an E-field. Are you familiar with the distinction between bound and free charge?

However, I don't think you need to worry about the bound dielectric charge, at least not right away, because in this equation ...
Electric Field @ Distance R
E = (q[tex]\widehat{R}[/tex]) / (4 [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\epsilon[/tex] R [tex]^{2}[/tex])
... q is referring to the free charge only. Moreover, it's the free charge that lies within a sphere of radius R.

Related to So, Lightning Decides to Strikes a Sphere

1. What is the concept behind "So, Lightning Decides to Strike a Sphere"?

The concept behind "So, Lightning Decides to Strike a Sphere" is to explore the unpredictable nature of lightning strikes and how they can affect objects of different shapes and materials, specifically a sphere.

2. Why did you choose to study lightning strikes on a sphere?

We chose to study lightning strikes on a sphere because it is a simple and commonly found shape in nature, making it a good representation of how lightning may interact with objects in its path. Additionally, the spherical shape allows for easy comparison to other shapes in future studies.

3. What variables did you consider in your study?

In our study, we considered the material of the sphere, the intensity and direction of the lightning strike, and the distance between the lightning strike and the sphere. We also took into account any external factors that may affect the results, such as weather conditions and the shape of the surrounding environment.

4. What were your findings from the study?

Our study found that the material of the sphere greatly influenced the damage and behavior of the lightning strike. A metal sphere showed the most damage, while a non-conductive material like rubber had minimal damage. We also observed that the intensity and direction of the lightning strike had a significant impact on the results.

5. How can this study benefit society?

Understanding how lightning strikes interact with different objects can help improve safety measures, such as lightning rods and grounding systems, to protect structures and people from potential damage or harm. This study can also contribute to a better understanding of the behavior of lightning and its impact on the environment.