Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

So I might as well go second (as a Staff Member)

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
My name is not important (but if you desperately wanted to know it is not too difficult to find out)

I have (UK) degrees: BSc (1st) in Maths, M.Sc in Astrophysics and a PhD in Functional Analysis all earned over 30 years ago now.

I have spend most of my working life in the UK Defence Industry working on various bits of guided weapon design including DSP, Kalman Filtering and tracking filters in general, Homing Law Optimisation, Operational Analysis, and EW/CCM/CCCM design and analysis. This has mainly been for Underwater systems, but also air-to-air and anti-shipping missiles/systems. I also spent 7 years as a UK Civil Servant working on the collection and analysis of statistics related to the state of the UK housing stock.

I have been doing some form of on-line maths help work since getting on-line in the mid-90's. This includes a stint at the MathForum's Geometry Problem of the Week which I left when a school subscription was introduced pricing a number of third world institutions out of using it.

Other than maths help my other main activities and interests include: History of Maths and Science, Visual Arts, Theatre & Cinema, 20th Century Naval History, History of Operational Research and hacking (cheap) fountain pens.

I have three children who will reach university age next year so despite rapidly approaching retirement age (or having passed it for the purposes of my Civil Service pension) I cannot afford to retire (ever!). Fortunately the UK Government has recently introduced legislation which means I cannot be made to retire...

CB

Last edited:

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
My name is not important (but if you desperately wanted to know it is not too difficult to find out)

I have (UK) degrees: BSc (1st) in Maths, M.Sc in Astrophysics and a PhD in Functional Analysis all earned over 30 years ago now.

I have spend most of my working life in the UK Defence Industry working on various bits of guided weapon design including DSP, Kalman Filtering and tracking filters in general, Homing Law Optimisation, Operational Analysis, and EW/CM/CCM design and analysis. This has mainly been for Underwater systems, but also air-to-air and anti-shipping missiles/systems. I also spent 7 years as a UK Civil Servant working on the collection and analysis of statistics related to the state of the UK housing stock.

I have been doing some form of on-line maths help work since getting on-line in the mid-90's. This includes a stint at the MathForum's Geometry Problem of the Week which I left when a school subscription was introduced pricing a number of third world institutions out of using it.

Other than maths help my other main activities and interests include: History of Maths and Science, Visual Arts, Theatre & Cinema, 20th Century Naval History, History of Operational Research and hacking (cheap) fountain pens.

I have three children who will reach university age next year so despite rapidly approaching retirement age (or having passed it for the purposes of my Civil Service pension) I cannot afford to retire (ever!). Fortunately the UK Government has recently introduced legislation which means I cannot be made to retire...

CB
And why would anyone want to retire anyway? That's just getting on the train that runs express through senility :p

Last edited by a moderator:

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
a) ... EW/CCM/CCCM design and analysis...

b) ... 20th Century Naval History...
As I supected we have more common interests!...

... regarding the point a) I know that ECM\ECCM is the acronym of 'Electronic Counter Measurements' and 'Electronic Counter Counter Measurements'... the same is for CCM\CCCM or it is somewhat else?...

... regarding point b) next month it will be hundred years from the disaster of Titanic... why don't open a 'technical discussion' about that on MHB?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
As I supected we have more common interests!...

... regarding the point a) I know that ECM\ECCM is the acronym of 'Electronic Counter Measurements' and 'Electronic Counter Counter Measurements'... the same is for CCM\CCCM or it is somewhat else?...
There is a slight difference between ECM/ECCM and CM/CCM (note I typed too-many C's in the original), ECM denotes Electronic Counter Measures, CM with out qualification is the broader category of Counter Measures, which may cover just avoiding detection (and we may be talking about non-em sensors) to hard-kill counter measures.

CB

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
... regarding point b) next month it will be hundred years from the disaster of Titanic... why don't open a 'technical discussion' about that on MHB?...
I'm not sure if I can say much of value about the Titanic's loss, other than observe that the Britannic even with the post Titanic modifications built in was lost in circumstances in which it should not have been.

CB

Amer

Mar 1, 2012
so i think your age is more than 57 ?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
so i think your age is more than 57 ?
I thought I said I had passed the UK Civil Service Retirement age? So that would make it >= 60.

CB