Snowball Shape Debate: Circle vs Sphere

In summary, After a conversation about the shape of snowflakes and a potential language translation issue, it is concluded that snowflakes are not shaped like circles, but rather like 6 pointed stars. It is also noted that a sphere is different from a ball, as a sphere refers to the surface of a ball.
Asian Girl
What is the shape of snowball? i thought it's circle but my friend said it's a sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Asian Girl said:
What is the shape of snowball? i thought it's circle but my friend said it's a sphere.

Hi Asian Girl! :smile:

I think you mean snowflake.

If so, I agree with you: :smile:
Large, well formed snowflakes are relatively flat and have six approximately identical arms …

For more details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow#Snowflakes".

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would a snowflake be shaped like a sphere?

Defennder said:
Why would a snowflake be shaped like a sphere?

You'll have to ask Asian Girl's friend! :smile:

… you're trying to get an introduction, aren't you … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
You'll have to ask Asian Girl's friend! :smile:

… you're trying to get an introduction, aren't you … ? :wink:
My question (and, I suspect, Defennder's, except for a typo) would be "Why would a snowflake be shaped like a circle". All snowflakes are more like 6 pointed stars.

I don't know what language Asian Girl speaks but it might be a translation problem. A circles is "flat"- two dimensional- in a plane. A sphere is 3 dimensional.

(Very strictly speaking, a snowball is a "ball"- a "sphere" is the surface of a ball.)

HallsofIvy said:
All snowflakes are more like 6 pointed stars.

But a 6 pointed star is like a circle …

… especially when it's spinning beautifully! :!)

Related to Snowball Shape Debate: Circle vs Sphere

What is the snowball shape debate about?

The snowball shape debate is a discussion among scientists about whether a snowball should be considered a circle or a sphere. Some argue that a snowball is a perfect circle, while others argue that it is a perfect sphere.

What evidence supports the snowball being a circle?

Those who argue that a snowball is a circle often point to its appearance when viewed from above. When looking down at a snowball, it appears to be a perfect circle with no visible curvature.

What evidence supports the snowball being a sphere?

On the other hand, those who argue that a snowball is a sphere point to its three-dimensional shape. When held in the hand or rolled on a flat surface, a snowball's shape appears to be more spherical than circular.

Is there a consensus among scientists about the snowball shape?

No, there is currently no consensus among scientists about the snowball shape. This debate continues to be a topic of discussion and research in the scientific community.

Does the shape of a snowball have any scientific significance?

While the shape of a snowball may seem like a trivial topic, it actually has implications for fields such as physics and meteorology. Understanding the shape of a snowball can help scientists better understand how snow behaves and how it may impact the environment.