Snell's law problem about a hemispherical glass ball

In summary, the problem asks for a path that a laser will take when it enters a tank filled with water and air. The path that is described in post #3 is possible, but there is one change that has to be made. The laser will enter the tank on the right side at a angle with the vertical and then travel upward parallel to the right glass surface.
issacnewton

Homework Statement

I have posted the snapshot of the problem.

Homework Equations

Snell's law equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now the problem says that laser travels through air vertically upward to reach the outer surface of the glass half-cylinder. If that is the case, then from Snell's law, the angle at which the laser is entering the bottom should be zero with the vertical. But the diagram clearly shows that laser enters at some non zero angle to the vertical. So, is there any other way that laser will be going vertically upward to reach outer surface of the glass half-cylinder ? I am confused here.

Thanks

Attachments

• SnellsLawProblem.jpg
    SnellsLawProblem.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 342
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the possible paths of the light ray having entered the tank?

Laser will first go inside the lower glass and then enter water and then hit the right glass wall. And it will again enter the right glass wall. The only way the laser will turn back in is the total internal reflection at the interface of glass and air outside the right glass wall. And from there it will again enter water I think and from water it will enter the air inside the glass tank and from there it will enter upper glass surface of the tank and then it will emerge vertically from the tank. This is the only possibility I can think of. What do you think haruspex ?

IssacNewton said:
The only way the laser will turn back in is the total internal reflection at the interface of glass and air outside the right glass wall
What if it doesn't quite do that?

Jyoti, I did not say that at point A, the angle of incidence is zero. Assuming that its non zero, one of the possibilities that laser can emerge vertically up is the way I have described in post # 3

haruspex said:
What if it doesn't quite do that?
In that case, the angle of incidence at point A would have to be zero, but the problem clearly says that the angle of incidence at A is not zero.

IssacNewton said:
In that case, the angle of incidence at point A would have to be zero, but the problem clearly says that the angle of incidence at A is not zero.
You may be right.. don't have time to check right now, but I did not think that was the case.
Try writing out the algebra for that possibility and for the one you mention in post #3.

Back in 4 hours or so.

I think I got the path as described as in post # 3 but with one change. The laser beam is incident on the glass air interface on the outer glass surface on the right side of the tank with the critical angle. This is possible since laser will be going from denser media to less denser media. So, after this, the laser will travel vertically upward parallel to the right glass surface. This is the only way the laser will strike the glass cylinder vertically. With this consideration and after lot of algebra, I am getting ##(A_x, A_y) = (81.3,-1.28)\;cm## and ##(B_x, B_y) = (0, 128.3)\;cm## Can people confirm this ?

IssacNewton said:
The laser beam is incident on the glass air interface on the outer glass surface on the right side of the tank with the critical angle.
That's what I was hinting at in post #4.

Likes issacnewton
Thanks haruspex... problem involves lot of trig algebra :cry:

Related to Snell's law problem about a hemispherical glass ball

1. What is Snell's law?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when a light ray passes through a boundary between two different transparent media.

2. How does Snell's law apply to a hemispherical glass ball?

Snell's law can be applied to a hemispherical glass ball by considering the light ray as it enters and exits the curved surface of the ball. The angle of incidence and angle of refraction will change as the light passes through the curved surface, but the ratio of the sine of the angles will still follow Snell's law.

3. What are the variables involved in solving a Snell's law problem about a hemispherical glass ball?

The variables involved in solving a Snell's law problem about a hemispherical glass ball include the indices of refraction of the two media, the angle of incidence, and the angle of refraction. Additionally, the radius of the curved surface of the glass ball may also be a factor in some problems.

4. How do you calculate the index of refraction of a hemispherical glass ball?

The index of refraction of a hemispherical glass ball can be calculated by measuring the angles of incidence and refraction and using Snell's law to solve for the ratio of the indices of refraction of the two media. In some cases, the index of refraction of the glass may be given as a known value.

5. What are some real-world applications of Snell's law and hemispherical glass balls?

Snell's law and hemispherical glass balls have many practical applications, such as in optics and lens design. They are also used in the production of curved glass surfaces, such as in the production of eyeglass lenses. Additionally, Snell's law is used in the design of fiber optic cables, which use curved glass to guide and transmit light signals.