Snell's Law: Parallel Polarization Derivation

In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of obtaining expressions for E in a parallel polarization for a plane-wave incident upon a planar interface. It was suggested to use duality and the Maxwell equations to find the solution, potentially by changing the vector forms instead of the geometry. The specific changes needed were not determined, but it was suggested to clarify whether the planar reflector or the expression of E would be changed.
Brianrofl
Hi, I have a plane-wave incident upon a planar interface that is perpendicularly polarized with an electric field directed out of the page in the y-hat direction, perpendicular to the x-z plane of incidence. An image of the incident plane:

Capture.PNG

I'm also given the general expressions for the incident, reflected, and transmitted waves for perpendicular polarization:

Capture.PNG

Some relevant eqns (just maxwell equations and solutions):

Capture.PNG

Alright, so what I need to do here is obtain the expressions of E for a parallel polarization, rather than perpendicular. The solution should come from duality, which I assume also comes from maxwell equations.

What I do know is that the solution is obtained from the perpendicular incidence of H. Do I simply use the above maxwell equation Del x H = jweE(r), and take the curl of each H(x,z) equation to obtain E for the parallel case?

I'm not looking for the solution, but if someone could just point me in the right direction here I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6.1 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
When you change to parallel polarization, are you changing your planar reflector from the x-y plane to the y-z plane, or are you changing your expression of
E from ##\vec E_{inc}(x,z) = \hat y E_0 f(x,z) ## to ##\vec E_{inc}(y,z) = \hat x E_0 g(y,z) ##?
Make that clear first, then see what changes need to occur in your forms. I think it is easier to change the vector forms rather than the geometry.

Related to Snell's Law: Parallel Polarization Derivation

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave passing through two different mediums. It is also known as the law of refraction.

2. What is Parallel Polarization Derivation?

Parallel Polarization Derivation is a specific application of Snell's Law that applies to electromagnetic waves traveling through two anisotropic media with parallel polarizations. It describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for these waves.

3. How is the angle of refraction calculated in Parallel Polarization Derivation?

The angle of refraction in Parallel Polarization Derivation is calculated using the equation θ₂ = arcsin(n₁ sin(θ₁)/n₂), where θ₂ is the angle of refraction, n₁ and n₂ are the refractive indices of the two media, and θ₁ is the angle of incidence.

4. What is anisotropy?

Anisotropy refers to the property of a material where its physical or optical properties vary depending on the direction in which they are measured. In the context of Parallel Polarization Derivation, it refers to the fact that the refractive indices of the two media are different for parallel and perpendicular polarizations.

5. What are some real-world applications of Snell's Law and Parallel Polarization Derivation?

Snell's Law and Parallel Polarization Derivation have numerous applications in various fields, including optics, telecommunications, and geology. For example, they are used in the design of lenses, mirrors, and other optical components, as well as in the study of seismic waves in the Earth's crust.