Snell's Law: From n sin theta to n1sintheta1 = n2sintheta2

In summary, the conversation discusses Snell's Law and its familiar form of n1sintheta1 = n2sintheta2. The constant value of n sin theta is explained as a result of light moving between different media with varying refraction indices and experiencing different angles of refraction, but maintaining a constant value of n sin theta.
mauifq
Hi, I'm new to the forum as I'm struggling to find answers with an internet search.

I've seen Snell's Law stated as n sin theta = constant.

How does this arise from its more familiar form of n1sintheta1 = n2sintheta2? I can't work it out.

Thanks for reading!

Science news on Phys.org
Well, that's in fact something very straight forward and has no intermediate mathematical steps. Its just that when something is not changing while time goes on, then its constant. So when light is moving between different media and , although different media have different refraction indices and the light experiences different angles of refraction, it will always have the same [itex] n \sin\theta [/itex]. So this quantity doesn't change, so its a constant!

Related to Snell's Law: From n sin theta to n1sintheta1 = n2sintheta2

1. What is Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is a formula that describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction for a wave passing through a boundary between two different isotropic media, such as air and water.

2. How is Snell's Law written?

Snell's Law is written as n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two media and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

3. What is the significance of Snell's Law?

Snell's Law is significant because it explains the bending of light rays as they pass through different media, and it is essential for understanding the properties of lenses and other optical devices.

4. How is Snell's Law derived?

Snell's Law is derived from the principle of Fermat's least time, which states that the path taken by a ray of light between two points is the path that can be traversed in the least amount of time.

5. What is the difference between n1 and n2 in Snell's Law?

n1 and n2 correspond to the refractive indices of the two media involved. n1 is the refractive index of the medium from which the light is coming, while n2 is the refractive index of the medium through which the light is passing.