SN1a under fire as standard candles

In summary: The paper does mention that standardizing the data would be a good idea, but it's not clear how this would be possible without more information. In summary, this paper discusses an alternative model for SN1a progenitors and offers observational predictions to test it based on SN2014J. If the model is validated it would have far reaching consequences for cosmology.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.2717, discusses an alternative model for SN1a progenitors and offers observational predictions to test it based on SN2014J. If the model is validated it would have far reaching consequences for cosmology.

Space news on Phys.org
Interesting paper, it would be interesting to see if a quark nova 1A is detectable according to this paper. Or if they are shown to exist.

Sounds to me though that this applies to certain white dwarfs going supernova, a new category so to speak.

Although if found to be true I don't think it will greatly influence too much on the distance ladder. Other than an increase in accuracy. May influence regions that we have no reliable cross check such as stellar parallax. I state this observation based on knowing that no one method of distance measure is truly relied upon as being an absolute. As far as I understand it every standard candle is cross checked with other means of determining distance. Provided a means of cross check is possible.

One of the problems with SN1a is their distance is very difficult to cross check beyond 100 Mpc [about z=.023].

Difficult yes, however there are methods for that range, although they also have a degree of error. I've read numerous references to the D–σ relation, SBF (surface brightness fluctuations)
and the Tully Fisher relation as being cross checks at those ranges. Mostly when I was studying the cosmic distance ladder. I couldn't tell you their margin of error lol. I only half remember what I self studied. Been a few months, if I recall though the D–σ relation is used at 100 MPC. Could be wrong, I can't recall any cross checks beyond 100 MPC though. However my memory is fuzzy on the subject

edit: by the way if anyone has good articles covering the methods above and other methods used in the cosmic distance scale, preferably with the technical details I would be interested. The papers I have only cover select ones.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
This paper, http://arxiv.org/abs/1402.2717, discusses an alternative model for SN1a progenitors and offers observational predictions to test it based on SN2014J. If the model is validated it would have far reaching consequences for cosmology.
Meh, I'm not too worried about SN1a's usefulness as standard candles. Their variance is cross-checked through observations, and the fact that SN1a measurements of expansion coincide with other measurements of expansion shows that they can't have a bias with redshift that is dramatic enough to really put the results into question.

However, if we gain a greater understanding of SN1a events, we may be able to better estimate their absolute brightness from their spectrum, resulting in more accurate estimates of expansion from the same data. I'm skeptical that this will be possible, but we'll see.

If there are three channels for the detonation of a White Dwarf; "the single-degenerate (SD) channel is the accretion onto the WD from a nondegenerate companion (Whelan & Iben 1973) and the double-degenerate (DD) channel provides the mass from the merger of two WDs (Iben & Tutukov 1994; Webbink 1984)." together with "the explosion of a companion neutron star (NS) as a Quark-Nova Ia (QN-Ia).", and the SN Ia step of distance ladder is an average of the combination of these three, then there could well be a systematic variation over cosmological distances in the observed magnitude, caused by a secular evolution and change in the relative number of these three species.

Garth

I found this intriguing "...Interestingly SNe-Ia formed through this channel are not standardizable using usual methods (Ouyed et al. 2013a) leading to profound implications for cosmology if the majority are formed in this way." It appears, even assuming this path to detonation is unusual, it could really muck things up.

Yes, and as the universe evolves it is to be expected that the relative number of SN Ia's produced by each channel would vary as it takes time for a star to become degenerate.

Therefore, for example, I would expect that the ratio between the single (SD) and double degenerate (DD) channel would decrease with cosmological time. (i.e. there would be relatively fewer DD's at an earlier epoch.)

Garth

Chronos said:
I found this intriguing "...Interestingly SNe-Ia formed through this channel are not standardizable using usual methods (Ouyed et al. 2013a) leading to profound implications for cosmology if the majority are formed in this way." It appears, even assuming this path to detonation is unusual, it could really muck things up.
Unless such supernovae are extremely rare, it's hard to see how that statement can match observations.

Related to SN1a under fire as standard candles

1. What is SN1a under fire as standard candles?

SN1a (Type 1a supernovae) are a type of exploding star that has been widely used as a standard candle, or a reference point, for measuring astronomical distances. However, recent studies have raised questions about their reliability as standard candles.

2. Why are SN1a under fire as standard candles?

Recent observations have shown that SN1a may not always have the same intrinsic brightness, which is necessary for them to be used as standard candles. This could lead to errors in distance measurements and impact our understanding of the universe.

3. How do scientists use SN1a as standard candles?

Scientists use the relationship between the brightness and the time it takes for SN1a to fade to determine their distance from Earth. This is known as the "standard candle" method and has been used for decades to measure distances in the universe.

4. What evidence suggests that SN1a may not be reliable as standard candles?

Several recent studies have found that the brightness of SN1a can vary depending on their age, the composition of the host galaxy, and the presence of a companion star. This suggests that they may not always have consistent intrinsic brightness and therefore cannot be used as reliable standard candles.

5. How are scientists addressing the issue of SN1a as standard candles?

Scientists are actively researching alternative methods for measuring distances in the universe, such as using other types of supernovae or using the cosmic microwave background radiation. They are also conducting further studies to better understand the factors that affect the brightness of SN1a and how they can be accounted for in distance measurements.