Smoothing Half Wave AC Voltage with Inductor - Any Ideas?

• Thread starter ws0619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Wave
In summary, adding an inductor in line with the load after the capacitor in a simple power supply can help to limit the AC component on the DC and can prevent voltage spikes that may damage the diodes. However, it is not commonly used due to the availability of voltage regulator ICs and the cost of a large inductor. The inductor should also be a special one with an air gap in the iron core to prevent saturation.
ws0619
Hi!
As what I have studied, to smoothen the half wave voltage produced by AC passing through a diode is placing a capacitor parallel to the resistor.If I want to add an inductor inside my circuit to smooth the half wave, where should the inductor place?
Does inductor help in smoothing the half wave?How is the working concept of the inductor in the circuit?
Any idea?Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A simple power supply has this arrangement:

AC supply ... diode or diode bridge...capacitor ...ground. The load goes across the capacitor.

If you wanted to add an Inductor, it should go after the capacitor in line with the load and there should be another capacitor after it to ground. The load goes across the second capacitor.

The inductor ideally has no effect on DC current but it will help to limit the AC component on the DC.

The input capactor is important as the inductor can cause voltage spikes which might destroy the diodes if the capacitor wasn't there.
Also, the inductor should be a special one with an air gap in the iron core so that it does not saturate easily with DC passing through it.

An inductor is not normally used because voltage regulator ICs are used and these give almost perfect smoothing.

The topology vk mentions is correct, but in real life, you would need a very large (and therefore expensive) inductor to make a significant difference to the ripple, compared to just adding more capacitance.

Related to Smoothing Half Wave AC Voltage with Inductor - Any Ideas?

1. How does an inductor smooth half wave AC voltage?

An inductor smooths half wave AC voltage by storing energy in its magnetic field when the voltage is high and releasing the stored energy when the voltage is low. This results in a more consistent and constant voltage output.

2. What is the purpose of smoothing half wave AC voltage?

The purpose of smoothing half wave AC voltage is to reduce fluctuations and ripples in the voltage output, resulting in a more stable and usable voltage for electronic devices.

3. Can any inductor be used to smooth half wave AC voltage?

No, not all inductors are suitable for smoothing half wave AC voltage. The inductor must have a high inductance value and low resistance in order to effectively smooth the voltage.

4. What are some potential issues with smoothing half wave AC voltage using an inductor?

One potential issue is the size and weight of the inductor, as it may need to be larger and heavier to handle the necessary power. Another issue is the potential for heat dissipation, as the inductor may generate heat while smoothing the voltage.

5. How can I calculate the appropriate inductance value for smoothing half wave AC voltage?

The appropriate inductance value can be calculated using the formula L = V/(2*f*i), where L is the inductance in henries, V is the voltage in volts, f is the frequency in hertz, and i is the desired current in amperes. It is recommended to consult with a professional or use online calculators to ensure accurate calculations.