Smoothing 3d prints with acetone

• Thread starter theycallmevirgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Acetone
In summary: If you're worried about acetone vapor explosions, you could try a low-vapor acetone like MEK or CDCl3.In summary, acetone is not effective for surface smoothing on PLA models with concave features.
theycallmevirgo
I'm in the process of 3d printing some injection molds, and I was looking at some tutorials for surface smoothing with evaporated acetone. My concern is that some of my models have concave features that the acetone will not reach. Is there a dilution that will still be effective? Alternately, what if I cycle pure acetone in and out with the injection system?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
theycallmevirgo said:
I'm in the process of 3d printing some injection molds
What material are you printing with? Injection molding involves pretty high pressures, so thin-walled plastic would not typically be used.

Currently PLA, but of course later I would like to run ABS and nylon. Of course I do pretty thick walls for injection molding

Likes berkeman
theycallmevirgo said:
I was looking at some tutorials for surface smoothing with evaporated acetone.
Acetone is very flammable, and Acetone vapor is explosive. I suggest using a safer solvent.
Try this search:https://www.google.com/search?&q=solvent+for+pla

• Informative
Likes DaveE and berkeman
I mean, I don't disagree, and I will definitely follow your suggestion, but there are so many tutorials with acetone all over the place. Surely someone would have said something by now?

theycallmevirgo said:
Surely someone would have said something by now?
Apparently they didn't, so I figured I had better say something. :wink:
(we don't like loosing members)

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
(we don't like loosing members)
And/or member parts.

Likes Tom.G
Acetone is less flammable than gasoline (edit: but more flammable than pure ethanol). Do with that info what you will.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
You said you're using PLA, so acetone won't do anything as it doesn't dissolve PLA.

This technique is commonly used with acetone on ABS, not on PLA.

Having concave surfaces or cavities won't matter.

The object is not immersed into liquid solvent, it's immersed into the saturated vapor phase above the surface of a heated liquid solvent in a container.

Just because lots of people do it, it doesn't mean it's risk free - heating up a volatile, flammable solvent outside of a fume hood *is* a fire/explosion risk.

For this to work on PLA, a different solvent that dissolves PLA is needed, like THF or dichloromethane.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

Related to Smoothing 3d prints with acetone

1. How does acetone smooth 3D prints?

Acetone is a solvent that can dissolve the outer layer of a 3D print, creating a smooth surface. It works particularly well on prints made from ABS plastic, as ABS is soluble in acetone.

2. Is acetone safe to use for smoothing 3D prints?

Acetone is a flammable and toxic chemical, so it should be used with caution. It is important to work in a well-ventilated area and wear protective gear such as gloves and a mask when handling acetone. It is also important to dispose of acetone properly.

3. Can all types of 3D prints be smoothed with acetone?

No, not all types of 3D prints can be smoothed with acetone. It only works on prints made from ABS plastic, as other types of plastic may not be soluble in acetone. Additionally, acetone may cause damage to prints made from certain materials such as PLA.

4. How long does it take for acetone to smooth a 3D print?

The time it takes for acetone to smooth a 3D print depends on the size and complexity of the print, as well as the concentration of acetone used. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the smoothing process to be complete.

5. Are there any alternatives to using acetone for smoothing 3D prints?

Yes, there are alternative methods for smoothing 3D prints, such as using sandpaper or a heat gun. These methods may not be as effective as using acetone, but they are safer and do not require the use of harsh chemicals. It is important to research and test different methods to find the best one for your specific print.