Smooth acceleration, velocity and force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force during a collision between two bodies, with a focus on whether to consider the changing rate of acceleration or just the instantaneous velocity at the point of impact. The conversation also raises the question of the significance of speed and acceleration in relation to a golf question, and suggests a potential exchange of knowledge between a scientist and a golfer.
johndb
If a body is in a state of acceleration, thus a changing velocity and it collides with another body. When I am calculating the force of the body do I take into consideration the changing rate of acceleration or just the instantaneous velocity (velocity reached at this point) upon the point of impact.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like this question as it appears to relate to my F = M x A question raised - golfer needs advice posting. As a non-scientist I did not appreciate the difference between speed and acceleration, nor do I still appreciate the significance of any difference with regard to my golf question.

I very much look forward to reading technical answers to both of our questions.

It is extremely frustrating when one can intellectually formulate concepts but, due to lack of knowledge, fail to appreciate whether or not they have any merit?

Is there any scientist golfer out there who would like a straight swop - golf lessons for science lessons? (I'm serious).

johndb said:
If a body is in a state of acceleration, thus a changing velocity and it collides with another body. When I am calculating the force of the body do I take into consideration the changing rate of acceleration or just the instantaneous velocity (velocity reached at this point) upon the point of impact.

The change in velocity during a collision is very rapid. The kind of collisions that occur in sports (for example, a baseball bat striking a baseball) have a duration of ~0.05 seconds. To calculate the average force exerted during a collision, divide the change in momentum by the duration of the collision.

Related to Smooth acceleration, velocity and force?

1. What is the difference between acceleration, velocity, and force?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, and force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or decelerate.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Can an object have a constant acceleration and changing velocity?

Yes, an object can have a constant acceleration and changing velocity if the direction of the acceleration is constantly changing. This would result in the object moving in a curved path.

4. How do forces affect acceleration and velocity?

Forces can either increase or decrease an object's acceleration and velocity. An unbalanced force will cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the force, while a balanced force will not change the object's velocity.

5. What is the relationship between mass, force, and acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will cause a greater acceleration, and a greater mass will cause a smaller acceleration.