Smoke smell in a flat below mine.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether people below a smoker on a balcony can smell the smoke. The speaker mentions that warm air and diffusion play a role in how far the smell can travel, but ultimately confirms that people below can indeed smell the smoke.
bagofbones
Good day, everyone,
I have an uncommon question:
Man smokes in a balcony. Will the people, who are below him will smell that? Or just people who live above the man?
I guess warm air is going up, but how about a smell, diffusion says that molecules are moving disorderly, so I completely lost my mind whether smell can be smelled if you are below.
This is some kind a exercise, but I can't recognize which physics field it belongs to.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
bagofbones said:
warm air is going up
So long as it's warm --- which isn't long for smoke.
bagofbones said:
diffusion says
No breeze, a smoker can "perfume" a fairly large volume of air.

Likes bagofbones
Bystander said:
So long as it's warm --- which isn't long for smoke.

No breeze, a smoker can "perfume" a fairly large volume of air.
So the answer is yes? People below can smell that?

Definitely. If it's left-handed tobacco, some can smell it on the next block.

Likes nuuskur

1. What is causing the smoke smell in the flat below mine?

There could be a variety of reasons for the smoke smell in the flat below yours. It could be coming from a neighboring unit, a shared ventilation system, or even from an adjacent building.

2. Is the smoke smell dangerous?

The smoke smell itself may not be dangerous, but it could be an indication of a larger issue such as a fire or faulty ventilation system. It is important to address the source of the smell to ensure the safety of all residents.

3. Can I do anything to get rid of the smoke smell?

There are a few steps you can take to try and eliminate the smoke smell in your flat. First, make sure to keep your windows closed to prevent any outside smoke from entering. You can also use air purifiers or odor-absorbing products to help neutralize the smell.

4. Who is responsible for addressing the smoke smell?

If the smoke smell is coming from a neighboring unit, it is the responsibility of the owner or tenant of that unit to address the issue. If it is coming from a shared ventilation system, it may be the responsibility of the building management to fix any issues. It is important to communicate with all parties involved to find a solution.

5. Can the smoke smell be a health hazard?

If the smoke smell is coming from a source such as a fire or a faulty ventilation system, it can be a health hazard. Inhaling smoke can cause respiratory issues and other health problems. It is important to address the issue promptly to ensure the safety of all residents.