SMART Scholarship Program: Learn About the Dept. of Defense Sponsorship

In summary: Overall, the SMART Scholarship Program is a great opportunity for students pursuing a STEM degree and interested in a career with the DoD.
cnix217
Hey has anyone ever been through the SMART scholarship program, Department of Defense. I will be applying for next year so that my GPA will be higher. I want to have to best resume possible and I am curious at what they look for and what summer internship is like once in the program. I am electrical engineering major and want to join the Air Force after I get my degree and then go back for my masters and phd. Any advice is helpful.

Scholarship Link...
http://smart.asee.org/

*What does the sponsorship from a of branch military mean and entail. In this program you sponsored and I am searching on how this process works.*

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The SMART Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Department of Defense (DoD). It provides students with an opportunity to receive full tuition and educational expenses for a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM). The program also offers paid summer internships with DoD laboratories. To be eligible for sponsorship, applicants must meet certain academic requirements, such as a minimum GPA, have US citizenship, and demonstrate financial need. During the program, participants are mentored by an assigned DoD sponsor, who provides guidance and support throughout their studies. In addition, recipients are required to work for the DoD after graduating for the same number of years they were sponsored.

Related to SMART Scholarship Program: Learn About the Dept. of Defense Sponsorship

1. What is the SMART Scholarship Program?

The SMART (Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation) Scholarship Program is a highly competitive scholarship offered by the Department of Defense (DoD) for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in STEM fields. It provides full tuition coverage, a stipend for living expenses, and employment opportunities upon graduation.

2. Who is eligible for the SMART Scholarship Program?

Eligible applicants must be U.S. citizens, at least 18 years old, and enrolled in or accepted to an accredited college or university. They must also be pursuing a degree in a STEM field and have a minimum 3.0 GPA.

3. What are the benefits of the SMART Scholarship Program?

In addition to full tuition coverage and a living stipend, SMART scholars are matched with a DoD facility for summer internships and have the opportunity for post-graduation employment with the DoD. They also receive mentorship and networking opportunities within the DoD.

4. How can I apply for the SMART Scholarship Program?

The application process for the SMART Scholarship Program is highly competitive and consists of multiple stages, including an online application, essays, transcripts, and letters of recommendation. The application typically opens in August and closes in December, and can be found on the SMART Scholarship Program website.

5. What are the service obligations for SMART Scholarship recipients?

Upon graduation, SMART scholars are required to work for the DoD in a civilian position for a period equal to the length of their scholarship. This service obligation can be fulfilled at any DoD facility or agency. Failure to fulfill this obligation may result in repayment of scholarship funds.