Small oscillations around equilibrium point in polynomial potential

In summary, at x=2 the potential has a -k(4x3 - 14x -4) negative potential. This corresponds to the equilibrium point. To find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium point, you can approximate locally by an x2 potential.
roflol12
Hi guys i am a bit confused about this problem,
a particle of mass, m, moves in potential a potential u(x)=k(x4 - 7 x2 -4x)
I need to find the frequency of small oscillations about the equilibrium point.

I have worked out that x=2 corresponds to the equilibrium point as

- dU/dx = F = -k(4x3 - 14x -4)=0 at x=2

I tried to solve using the Lagrangian with
L=1/2 m v2 -k(x4 - 7 x2 -4x)

using Euler–Lagrange equation d/dt(dL/dv)=dL/dx
to get: ma= -k(4x3 - 14x -4)
I thought about dropping the x^3 term as it would be very small with small oscillations but was confused what that left me with.

Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a good approximation.
What confused you?

We are talking about oscillations, right? If the oscillation frequency is [itex]\omega[/itex], what is the stereotypical solution that you try first?

The potential you gave has two equilibrium points, one at x=2 and one at x=-1.7071 .

Whenever you have an equilibrium point, you can generally approximate locally by an x2 potential.

My suggestion is therefore to construct approximate k'(x-a)2 potentials at the equilibria.

How small "small" oscillations are, depends of course on your resolution, and the value you find for the frequency of the oscillations may depend on the resolution.

Last edited:
The key is you can work using generalized coordinates. As espen180 points out, (x-a) is small if a is an equilibrium point. You can use the approximation (x-a) is small: not the approximation that x is small.

think maybe i have solved it now

i took the ma= -k(4x^3 - 14x -4)
and rewrote x=2+r for a small r to get
ma= -k(4(2+r)^3 - 14(2+r) -4)
expanded to get,
ma= -k(34 r + 24 r^2 + 4 r^3)
considering r is small, i ignored the r^3 and r^2 terms to get
a=-34k/m r
which is shm with angular frequency, w^2=34k/m

look alright?

Looks good. :smile:

There is still the other equilibrium point though.

Only interested in the x=2 equilibrium point :)
thanks all!

Related to Small oscillations around equilibrium point in polynomial potential

What is a polynomial potential?

A polynomial potential is a type of potential energy function that can be written as a polynomial expression. It is commonly used in physics to describe the energy of a system in terms of its position.

What are small oscillations around equilibrium point?

Small oscillations around equilibrium point refer to small back-and-forth movements of a system near its equilibrium position. In other words, it is the behavior of a system when it is slightly disturbed from its stable state.

Why is it important to study small oscillations around equilibrium point in polynomial potential?

Studying small oscillations around equilibrium point in polynomial potential allows us to understand the behavior of a system under small disturbances. It is important because many physical systems, such as pendulums and springs, can be approximated as small oscillators and studying their behavior can help us make predictions about their motion.

What is the relationship between the polynomial potential and the oscillation frequency?

The oscillation frequency of a system is directly related to the shape of the polynomial potential. The steeper the potential curve, the higher the oscillation frequency will be. This means that the shape of the potential energy function determines the rate at which the system will oscillate around its equilibrium point.

How can small oscillations around equilibrium point be mathematically described?

Small oscillations around equilibrium point can be described mathematically by using the harmonic oscillator equation. This equation takes into account the mass of the system, the spring constant, and the displacement from equilibrium to calculate the acceleration of the system at any given point.