Small LED Thermometer - Beginner Electronics

In summary, the OP is looking for a way to change the color of a LED light depending on temperature. He is looking for a way to do this on an extremely small scale. He is looking for a way to do this with a single transistor and a thermometer output. He is looking for a way to do this with a schmitt trigger. Unfortunately, as we do not know what this 'thermometer' consists of, we cannot usefully speculate about suitable circuits.
nboston
Hi, I'm a freshman in college and a beginner in electronics. Does anyone know of a way to use a micro analog thermometer to change the color of a small LED light once it hits a certain temperature. I am looking to make this on an extremely small scale.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is an extremely small scale? Centimeter? Millimeter?

How large can the transition region be? Just getting some color change depending on temperature is very easy, switching from "pure red" to "pure green" (as an example) within 1K will need more logic (probably something like a comparator).
Note that LEDs have a fixed color, changing the apparent color will need two different LEDs and some control over their current.

mfb said:

How large can the transition region be? Just getting some color change depending on temperature is very easy, switching from "pure red" to "pure green" (as an example) within 1K will need more logic (probably something like a comparator).
Note that LEDs have a fixed color, changing the apparent color will need two different LEDs and some control over their current.
I seem to remember that you could buy LED packages with two colours in them. You can produce an infinitely variable set of intermediate colours between the Red and Green of the diodes taken singly by varying the voltage supplied, iirc. Actually, I now remember I have two such indicators on the regulator for a Rutland 12v Wind Generator.

I should think that it would not be hard to drive a two colour LED, using a single transistor as an interface with the output of the thermometer. But you would need to specify what the thermometer actually outputs.

sophiecentaur said:
I seem to remember that you could buy LED packages with two colours in them
And probably 3 or 4 pins, which just means there are two different LEDs inside.
I should think that it would not be hard to drive a two colour LED, using a single transistor as an interface with the output of the thermometer.
That would give a slow transition over a large temperature range.
But you would need to specify what the thermometer actually outputs.
I guess it is just a variable resistor.

mfb said:
And probably 3 or 4 pins, which just means there are two different LEDs inside.
That would give a slow transition over a large temperature range.
I guess it is just a variable resistor.

One package is aesthetically more pleasing ('colour mixing' built in and looks 'modern') and uses just one hole in a panel.

Could well be - but we'd need to know.

sophiecentaur said:
One package is aesthetically more pleasing ('colour mixing' built in and looks 'modern') and uses just one hole in a panel.

Could well be - but we'd need to know.
Use pulse width modulation to drive either of the LED's or both, and one can get a whole range of colors. Vary the voltage for the intensity.

mfb said:

A circuit utilizing a schmitt trigger might be what is needed, but still it, is a comparator circuit.

Unfortunately, as we don't know what this 'thermometer' consists of we cannot usefully speculate about suitable circuits - only the possibilities for displays.
The OP seems to have run away in panic at our responses. :))

Related to Small LED Thermometer - Beginner Electronics

1. What is a small LED thermometer and how does it work?

A small LED thermometer is a device that measures temperature using a digital display of LEDs. It works by detecting changes in voltage caused by temperature changes and converting that into a numerical value that is displayed on the LEDs.

2. What are the main components of a small LED thermometer?

The main components of a small LED thermometer include a temperature sensor, an analog-to-digital converter, and a display unit consisting of LED lights. Other components may include a microcontroller, a power source, and resistors.

3. Can a small LED thermometer be used for both indoor and outdoor temperature readings?

Yes, depending on the type of temperature sensor used, a small LED thermometer can measure both indoor and outdoor temperatures. For outdoor readings, a waterproof and weather-resistant sensor is recommended.

4. Is a small LED thermometer a suitable project for beginners in electronics?

Yes, a small LED thermometer is a great project for beginners in electronics. It involves basic electronic components and can be easily assembled with basic soldering skills. It also provides a practical application for learning about temperature sensors and digital display.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a small LED thermometer?

When working with any electronic project, it is important to follow basic safety precautions such as wearing safety goggles and working in a well-ventilated area. Additionally, be careful when handling hot soldering irons and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use of the components.