SM neutrinos coupling to Z boson

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a specific problem involving coupling strength between neutrinos and Z boson. The expert encourages the person to break down their problem into smaller steps and shows them an example of how to do so. The person then gets upset and accuses the expert of asking "simpleton" questions. The expert responds by explaining the reasoning behind their approach and the purpose of the platform.
majorana2015
Hi All

1. Homework Statement

with the known coupling strenght between SM neutrinos and Z boson

[tex] Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L} [/tex]

how can I get the coupling strength for Dirac neutrinos
[tex] Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{Dirac} { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) \nu_{Dirac} [/tex] ?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just clipped off the part of the template where you show your attempt, did you?

Please show your attempt.

Yes I did, mainly because I have no idea how to start. Pointless to keep that part .

Sorry, but you will have to provide an attempt if you want help.

we have [tex] Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L} [/tex]
given that
[tex]{\nu}_{L}= \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} \nu_{Dirac}[/tex]
and
[tex] \bar{\nu}_{L}= { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} [/tex] then

[tex] Z_{\mu} \bar{\nu}_{L} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \nu_{L} = Z_{\mu} { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} { \gamma}^{ \mu} \frac {(1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )}{2} \nu_{Dirac} [/tex]babysteps... but is it at least kind of right?

Can you simplify that?

what could I use ?

What do you know about products of gamma matrices?
This is the part where "relevant equations" from the homework template are important.

thanks!. Do you mean?
[tex]
\frac{1}{4} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} ) = \frac{1}{4} ( { \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5})^{2}
[/tex] can I just do that with 1 − γ_5 term? so I'dhave [tex] (1- { \gamma}_{ 5})^{2} = (1- { \gamma}_{ 5})[/tex] and then [tex]
\frac{1}{4}
Z_{\mu} { \bar {\nu}_{Dirac}}

{ \gamma}^{ \mu} (1- { \gamma}_{ 5} )
\nu_{Dirac}
[/tex]

majorana2015 said:
can I just do that with 1 − γ_5 term?
Can you?
Can you check the individual steps?

is this a joke? i come here for help and all I'm getting are just simpleton questions

It is not a joke. Your question can be answered with a series of simple steps, and you should be able to do all those steps (or look them up). You try to do too many steps at the same time, which does not lead to the right result, so I encourage you to make smaller steps, and to show them, so we can see what goes wrong.

majorana2015 said:
is this a joke? i come here for help and all I'm getting are just simpleton questions
Based on the work you have shown, you are making several trivial errors which mess up your computation, which is why you are being asked to check your individual steps. You will not get the answer handed to you here, this is not how PF works. Instead, you can get guidance and help to figure things out on your own, which is generally much better from a learning perspective. You can either chose to scream about this, which will get you nowhere, or accept the help and guidance you are given. One of the two will benefit you in te long run.

Related to SM neutrinos coupling to Z boson

1. What are SM neutrinos and Z bosons?

SM neutrinos, or Standard Model neutrinos, are fundamental particles that make up the family of leptons in the Standard Model of particle physics. Z bosons, on the other hand, are force-carrying particles that mediate the weak nuclear force.

2. How do SM neutrinos couple to Z bosons?

SM neutrinos couple to Z bosons through the weak nuclear force. This means that they interact with each other by exchanging Z bosons, similar to how two magnets interact by exchanging virtual photons.

3. What is the significance of the coupling between SM neutrinos and Z bosons?

The coupling between SM neutrinos and Z bosons is significant because it allows us to study the properties and interactions of neutrinos, which are notoriously difficult to detect and study due to their weak interactions. It also helps us understand the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe.

4. Can this coupling be observed in experiments?

Yes, this coupling has been observed in experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. By colliding particles at high energies, scientists are able to create and observe Z bosons interacting with SM neutrinos.

5. How does the strength of the coupling between SM neutrinos and Z bosons compare to other couplings in the Standard Model?

The coupling between SM neutrinos and Z bosons is weaker than other couplings in the Standard Model, such as the coupling between electrons and photons. This is due to the fact that neutrinos have very small masses and therefore interact very weakly with other particles.