Sluggerbroth's Question from Math Help Forum

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, we can use the definition of a limit to prove that \(\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}(x^2-2x+4)=3\) by showing that for every \(\epsilon>0\), there exists a \(\delta>0\) such that \(|x-1|<\delta\) implies \(|f(x)-3|<\epsilon\). This can be achieved by choosing \(\delta=\sqrt{\epsilon}\). Therefore, \(\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}(x^2-2x+4)=3\).
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Title: Prove this limit

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}(x^2-2x+4)=3\]

Hi sluggerbroth, :)

\begin{eqnarray}

\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}(x^2-2x+4)&=&\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}x^2-2\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}x+\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}4\\

&=&1^2-2+4\\

&=&3

\end{eqnarray}

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wonder if this question requires a delta-epsilon proof instead? I always disliked those!

Jameson said:
I wonder if this question requires a delta-epsilon proof instead? I always disliked those!

Exactly. This is something that didn't occur to me. :)

Let \(f(x)=x^2-2x+4\mbox{ and }l=3\). Take any \(\epsilon>0\), and consider, \(|f(x)-l|\)

\begin{eqnarray}

|f(x)-l|&=&|x^2-2x+4-3|\\

&=&|x^2-2x+1|\\

&=&(x-1)^2\\

&<&\epsilon\mbox{ whenever }|x-1|<\sqrt{\epsilon}\\

\end{eqnarray}

Take \(\delta=\sqrt{\epsilon}\) and we get,

\[|f(x)-l|<\epsilon\mbox{ whenever }|x-1|<\delta\]

Therefore for every \(\epsilon>0\) there exists a \(\delta>0\) such that,

\[|f(x)-l|<\epsilon\mbox{ whenever }|x-1|<\delta\]

Hence,

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}f(x)=l\]

\[\Rightarrow\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}(x^2-2x+4)=3\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Sluggerbroth's Question from Math Help Forum

1. What is "Sluggerbroth's Question from Math Help Forum"?

"Sluggerbroth's Question from Math Help Forum" is a specific question or problem that was posted on a forum dedicated to discussing mathematics and seeking help and solutions from other forum members.

2. What was the solution to Sluggerbroth's question?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a specific answer to Sluggerbroth's question without knowing the specific details of the problem. However, the solution to any mathematical problem or question can be found through a logical and systematic approach, using mathematical principles and equations.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills in mathematics requires practice and understanding of mathematical concepts. It is important to familiarize oneself with different types of problems and their corresponding techniques and strategies for solving them. Additionally, seeking help and guidance from peers and mentors can also be beneficial.

4. Can I use online resources for solving mathematical problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available for solving mathematical problems. However, it is important to use reputable and reliable sources to ensure the accuracy of the solutions. It is also recommended to use online resources as a tool for understanding and learning, rather than relying solely on them for solving problems.

5. How can I check if my answer to a mathematical problem is correct?

To check the correctness of an answer to a mathematical problem, it is important to retrace the steps taken to arrive at the solution. This can involve checking if all the necessary calculations were done correctly and if the final answer makes sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, using a calculator or checking the answer with a peer or teacher can also help verify the correctness of the solution.