Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Slope Intercept Equation with parallel

mhester88

Feb 25, 2021
I'm not understanding this question at all and am not sure how to even begin answering this. Any help would be appreciated.

Write the slope-intercept equation of the line that is parallel to -9x-7y=4 and has the same y-intercept as the graph of -5x+11y=-22.

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
start by converting both of the given equations to slope-intercept form (y = mx + b, correct?)

parallel lines have the same slope

Country Boy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 30, 2018
I'm not understanding this question at all and am not sure how to even begin answering this. Any help would be appreciated.

Write the slope-intercept equation of the line that is parallel to -9x-7y=4 and has the same y-intercept as the graph of -5x+11y=-22.
Since this was posted 6 months ago:
-9x- 7y= 4 is the same as 7y= -9x- 4 or y= (-9/7)x- 4/7. That has slope -9/7. Any line parallel to it has the same slope so can be written y= (-9/7)x+ c for some number c.

The y-intercept of a graph is the point (0, y) where the graph crosses the y-axis. Setting x= 0 in -5x+ 11y= -22, 11y= -22 so y= -2. The y-intercept is (0, -2). Setting x= 0 in y= (-9/7)x+ c, y= c and we want that to be -2.

y= (-9/7)x- 2. If, like me, you don't like fractions, multiply both sides by 7:
7y= -9x- 14.

You could also add 9x to both sides to get the slightly "prettier"
9x+ 7y= -14.