Slipping rolling cylinder friction

In summary, in order to prevent slipping of a cylinder on an inclined plane, the friction force f must be less than or equal to the maximum possible friction force μN. If f is greater than μN, the cylinder will slip due to not enough friction being present on the surface.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

The cylinder is released from rest on the inclined plane. The coefficient of friction between cylinder and plane is μ. Determine the motion of the cylinder, assuming that μ is large enough to prevent slipping.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok don't determine the motion. I have the solution in the textbook.

My question is about the friction. In my book it says "We are to assume the cylinder rolls. In this case the friction force f is an unknown and has a value satisfying 0≤f≤fmax where fmax=μN. After solving for f, we shall then impose the condition that it be less than μN, since we know the cylinder is not slipping"

Please note the friction vector is pointing to the right on the bottom of the cylinder.

I'm confused here about this friction. Why is f≤fmax? My intuition tells me if friction force is very big then the cylinder wouldn't roll. So if f≥fmax wouldn't the cylinder just not move? Why would it slip if f≥fmax? Thanks for explaining

Attachments

• cylpz9.jpeg
    cylpz9.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
The amount of friction force you need to prevent slipping is f. As long as f turns out to be less than the max possible, which is μN, then things are good. But if the f needed is more than the surfaces can deliver, meaning if f > μN, then you'll begin to slip. Not enough friction is available.

so the maximum amount of friction available on this natural surface is uN. Meaning its not possible for f to be greater than this amount. So if it turns out f>uN, it means the cylinder will slip since not enough friction is present. Am I getting this correctly? Thanks.

xzibition8612 said:
so the maximum amount of friction available on this natural surface is uN. Meaning its not possible for f to be greater than this amount. So if it turns out f>uN, it means the cylinder will slip since not enough friction is present. Am I getting this correctly?
Yes. Exactly right.

.I would like to clarify a few things about the concept of slipping and rolling friction in this scenario.

Firstly, the concept of friction is related to the resistance between two surfaces in contact. In this case, the friction force is acting between the cylinder and the inclined plane. The coefficient of friction, μ, is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces in contact and determines the strength of the friction force.

Secondly, there are two types of friction that can occur in this scenario: static and kinetic friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, and kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the two surfaces.

Now, in this scenario, we are assuming that the cylinder is rolling without slipping. This means that there is no relative motion between the cylinder and the inclined plane, and hence, the kinetic friction is zero. The friction force acting on the cylinder is solely due to static friction.

The maximum value of static friction, fmax, is given by μN, where N is the normal force between the cylinder and the inclined plane. This means that the friction force can have a maximum value of μN, but it can also have any value between 0 and μN, depending on the conditions.

So, when the book says that f≤fmax, it means that the friction force must be less than or equal to the maximum value of static friction. This condition is necessary for the cylinder to roll without slipping, as any value of friction force greater than fmax would result in slipping and the cylinder would not roll.

To summarize, the condition f≤fmax is imposed to ensure that the cylinder rolls without slipping, and it does not mean that the cylinder cannot move at all if f≥fmax. I hope this clarifies your confusion about the friction in this scenario.

Related to Slipping rolling cylinder friction

1. What is slipping rolling cylinder friction?

Slipping rolling cylinder friction is a type of friction that occurs when a cylinder rolls and slips on a surface at the same time. This results in a combination of both sliding and rolling motion, causing a decrease in the cylinder's overall speed and an increase in energy dissipation.

2. How is slipping rolling cylinder friction different from other types of friction?

Slipping rolling cylinder friction differs from other types of friction, such as sliding or rolling friction, because it involves a simultaneous combination of both sliding and rolling motion. This results in a more complex and dynamic frictional behavior.

3. What factors affect slipping rolling cylinder friction?

The factors that affect slipping rolling cylinder friction include the surface properties of the cylinder and the surface it is rolling on, the speed and direction of the cylinder's motion, and the applied force or torque on the cylinder.

4. How can slipping rolling cylinder friction be reduced?

Slipping rolling cylinder friction can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the cylinder and the surface it is rolling on. Additionally, increasing the smoothness of the surfaces and reducing the applied force or torque can also help reduce slipping rolling cylinder friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of slipping rolling cylinder friction?

Slipping rolling cylinder friction has many real-world applications, including in the automotive industry, where it is important for the efficient operation of vehicle tires. It is also relevant in industries such as manufacturing, where rolling and sliding motion is involved in the production process. Additionally, slipping rolling cylinder friction plays a role in the design and performance of roller coasters and other amusement park rides.