Slipping off a Car Seat: What Determines Passenger Safety?

In summary, the passenger will slip off the seat if they are light and remain on the seat if they are heavy. The statement that they will not slip off regardless of the values of Us and Uk is false, as a low value of Us can cause the passenger to slip. The statement that they will slip off regardless of the values of Us and Uk is also false, as the passenger can slip if the value of Us is too low. However, the statement that the passenger will not slip off the seat if Us is greater than 0.4 is true, as the calculated value of Us is greater than 0.34. The statement that the passenger will slip off the seat if Uk is less than 0.3 is not
Yam

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 20 m/s stops in a distance of 60 m. Assume that the deceleration is constant. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between a passenger and the seat are Us and Uk respectively. You may assume that the passenger is not in contact with anything else. Which of the following statements below is true?

a) The passenger will slip off the seat if he is light and remain on the seat if he is heavy.
b) The passenger will not slip off the seat regardless of the values of Us and Uk .
c) The passenger will slip off the seat regardless of the values of Us and Uk .
d) The passenger will not slip off the seat if Us> 0.4
e) The passenger will slip off the seat if Uk<0.3

Homework Equations

Kinematics : v^2 = u^2 +2as
Newton's second Law: F=ma
Force of Friction: Us*Normal Force

The Attempt at a Solution

a) The passenger will slip off the seat if he is light and remain on the seat if he is heavy.
The statement is too ambiguous.
b) The passenger will not slip off the seat regardless of the values of Us and Uk .
As long as F>UsN, the passenger will slip
As long as F>UsN, the passenger will slip

I will attempt to find out the minimum Us that is required so that the passenger will not slip.

0 = 20^2 + (2)(a)(s)
a = 10/3
(m*g*Us)=ma
Us = 10/3g =0.34, which doesn't fit into any option above.

May i know if i made any errors in concept or calculation

Physics news on Phys.org
a) can be answered.
For all of them, you need to spot how to eliminate mass from the equation. Let the mass of the person be m. What is the normal force? What (given the speed and stopping distance) is the decelerating force needed?

0 = 20^2 + (2)(a)(s)
a = 10/3

frictional force = decelerating force
(m*g*Us)=ma <=== the mass is eliminated here from the equation
The normal force is mg, from the individual.

Us = 10/3g =0.34.

Is that right??

Yam said:
0 = 20^2 + (2)(a)(s)
a = 10/3

Us = 10/3g =0.34.

Is that right??
Sorry, I should have noticed you'd posted all that. I only looked at the answers you were proposing in red. For each question, you only need to answer true or false. Can you correct your answer to a)?
The 0.34 doesn't need to match anything exactly. What do you think the 0.34 represents?

I would say that 0.34 represents the minimum coefficient of static friction that the seat must have.

I see, so the best answer would be option A.

Yam said:
0 = 20^2 + (2)(a)(s)
a = 10/3

Us = 10/3g =0.34.

Is that right??
That's the correct acceleration, except for the sign, but that doesn't matter here.

The value for μS looks good.

That is covered by one of the choices.

Yam said:
I would say that 0.34 represents the minimum coefficient of static friction that the seat must have.
Yam said:
The minimum such that she will not slide off, yes. So what would be the answers to d and e?
I see, so the best answer would be option A.
Option A? No, there are five questions and you must answer true or false to each.

False, a heavy passenger can still slip off with a low Us

False, Us<0.34 will cause the passenger to slip

False, for the passenger to slip

True, Calculated Us>0.34

Uk is not invloved.

Is this right?

Yam said:
False, a heavy passenger can still slip off with a low Us

False, Us<0.34 will cause the passenger to slip

False, for the passenger to slip

True, Calculated Us>0.34

Uk is not invloved.

Is this right?
Pretty much, but your reason for (a) could be refined. As your equation tells you, the mass of the passenger has no relevance.

Oyes, i understand now, thank you for your help!

Related to Slipping off a Car Seat: What Determines Passenger Safety?

1. What causes someone to slip off a car seat?

There are a few factors that can contribute to slipping off a car seat. The material of the seat, the angle of the seat, and the clothing you are wearing can all play a role. Additionally, if the seat is wet or if there is debris on the seat, it can increase the chances of slipping.

2. Is slipping off a car seat dangerous?

Slipping off a car seat can be dangerous, especially if you are in a moving vehicle. It can result in injuries such as bruises, cuts, and even broken bones. In more severe cases, slipping off a car seat can lead to accidents and further injuries.

3. How can I prevent slipping off a car seat?

To prevent slipping off a car seat, make sure the seat is clean and dry before sitting on it. Adjust the angle of the seat to ensure it provides enough support for your body. You can also consider using a seat cover or adding a non-slip mat to the seat for extra grip.

4. Are there any specific car seat designs that can prevent slipping?

Yes, there are car seats with non-slip surfaces or built-in lumbar support that can help prevent slipping. It is also important to choose a car seat with the right size and shape for your body to ensure a secure fit.

5. What should I do if I slip off a car seat?

If you slip off a car seat, try to remain calm and check for any injuries. If necessary, seek medical attention. To prevent future incidents, make sure to follow the tips for preventing slipping off a car seat mentioned earlier. If the slipping was caused by a faulty car seat, consider getting it repaired or replaced.