Slipping block on a slipping ramp: final speed

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block sliding down a ramp with no friction and the resulting speed of the block when it leaves the ramp. The participants discuss different equations and terms involved in solving the problem and eventually reach a conclusion with the help of a linked post.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends! A block having mass ##m## frictionlessly slips from height ##h## on a ramp of mass ##M##, which has an angle ##\theta## with the floor, where it slips with no friction.

inclineWithTheta.gif

I would like to prove that, as my book says, the ramp's speed when the block leaves it is

##V=\sqrt{\frac{2m^2gh\cos^2\theta}{(m+M)(M+m\sin^2\theta)}}.##​

But I cannot reach this result. Because of the conservation of momentum in the direction parallel to the floor, which is a direction where no external force act on the system block-ramp, I would say that the speed ##v## of the block when it leaves the ramp is such that ##mv\cos\theta=M V## and, because of the conservation of mechanical energy, I would think that ##mgh=\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2} MV^2=\frac{1}{2}\big(\frac{M^2V^2}{m\cos^2\theta} +MV^2\big)##, and therefore ##V=\sqrt{\frac{2m^2gh\cos^2\theta}{(m+M)(M^2+Mm\cos^2\theta)}}##
which is a wrong result. Where am I wrong?

I ##\infty##-ly thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get the (m+M) term?

Likes DavideGenoa
Relative to the ground, what direction will the block be moving?

Likes DavideGenoa
paisiello2 said:
Where do you get the term (m+M) term?
I assumed that was a typo.

Likes DavideGenoa
See thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wedge-and-block-initial-momentum.806992/. It is the same problem as yours.
Decide what you denote by v. The block slides on the ramp which is moving horizontally with velocity -V. If the relative velocity of the block with respect to the ramp is u, the horizontal component is ucos(θ) and in the rest frame of reference it is ucos(θ)-V.

Likes DavideGenoa
Thank you all, friends! ehild's linked post answers the issue.

Related to Slipping block on a slipping ramp: final speed

1. What is a slipping block on a slipping ramp?

A slipping block on a slipping ramp is a physical system where a block of mass m slides down a ramp of height h and incline angle θ with an initial speed v. Both the block and the ramp are assumed to be frictionless, meaning that there is no resistance to the block's motion.

2. How is the final speed of the slipping block calculated?

The final speed of the slipping block can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. The potential energy of the block at the top of the ramp is converted into kinetic energy as it slides down the ramp. Therefore, the final speed can be determined by equating the initial potential energy (mgh) to the final kinetic energy (1/2mv^2).

3. What factors affect the final speed of the slipping block on a slipping ramp?

The final speed of the slipping block is affected by the mass of the block, the height of the ramp, and the incline angle. The greater the mass and height, the higher the final speed, while a steeper incline angle results in a lower final speed.

4. Is the final speed of the slipping block dependent on the initial speed?

No, the final speed of the slipping block is independent of the initial speed. This is because the energy conversion between potential and kinetic energies is not affected by the initial speed of the block.

5. What is the significance of studying a slipping block on a slipping ramp?

Studying a slipping block on a slipping ramp helps us understand the principles of energy conservation and how different factors affect the motion of an object. This system can also be applied to real-world scenarios, such as a car driving down a hill or a rollercoaster descending from a peak.