Sliding Rings on Rods: Solving for Inextensible String Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the velocity of a point O on a string attached to two poles and passing through a ring O'. The conversation covers the use of equations to find the velocity and the confusion over the initial attempt at finding the velocity. Ultimately, the correct equation for finding the velocity is determined.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure about this but as the string is inextensible, the component of velocity of the rings along the string should be equal. O' moves downwards and O moves upwards (not sure but it looks so). Hence, ##v_1\cos \alpha=v_2\cos \alpha \Rightarrow v_1=v_2 ## but this is apparently wrong.

Attachments

• rings1.png
    rings1.png
    37 KB · Views: 442
  • rings2.png
    rings2.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of equations that relate the positions of the rings with the length of the string and the distance between the poles. Write them down, use them to find the velocity of O.

voko said:
There are a couple of equations that relate the positions of the rings with the length of the string and the distance between the poles. Write them down, use them to find the velocity of O.

Position from where? Should I fix the co-ordinate system with origin at A?

Suppose the string has length s and the rods are distance h apart. When O'A' = x, what is the distance OA?

haruspex said:
Suppose the string has length s and the rods are distance h apart. When O'A' = x, what is the distance OA?

##OA=x+\sqrt{s^2-h^2}##?

Pranav-Arora said:
##OA=x+\sqrt{s^2-h^2}##?

How come OA grows infinitely as x increases?

voko said:
How come OA grows infinitely as x increases?

See attachment.
##OA=OB+BA \Rightarrow OA=x+\sqrt{s^2-h^2}##

Why is it wrong? :confused:

Attachments

• rings.png
    rings.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 381
How come BA is fixed? Surely as x grows, it should get smaller, because the string is inextensible.

It cannot be v1=v2.
Here's why:
Assume the distance between the two poles as 'x' and the string length 's', the distance to be traveled by O' to reach the height of O will be √(s^2-x^2). Now, as s tends to x (i.e the ring O' starts to reach height of the ring O, it will already have a velocity, whereas O will remain to be at rest till O' lowers and starts pulling O.
Therefore, V1>V2
You can try using trigonometric ratios to prove the same.
i.e
Sin(90-alpha) = √(s^2-h^2)/(s^2)

Pranav-Arora said:
See attachment.
##OA=OB+BA \Rightarrow OA=x+\sqrt{s^2-h^2}##

Why is it wrong? :confused:
Because s is not equal to the hypotenuse, OO'. The string runs from O to A' via O'..

haruspex said:
Because s is not equal to the hypotenuse, OO'. The string runs from O to A' via O'..

Yep, I realized it before I went to sleep.

This time I get ##OA=x+\sqrt{(s-x)^2-h^2}##.

Differentiating w.r.t time,
[tex]\frac{d(OA)}{dt}=v_2=\frac{dx}{dt}-\frac{(s-x)}{\sqrt{(s-x)^2+h^2}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
##dx/dt=v_1## and ##s-x=h/\sin \alpha##, using these
[tex]v_2=v_1\left(1-\frac{1}{\cos \alpha}\right)=-v_1\frac{2\sin^2 \alpha/2}{\cos \alpha}[/tex]

Is this correct?

I still don't understand what's wrong with my attempt in the first post.

Pranav-Arora said:
Yep, I realized it before I went to sleep.

This time I get ##OA=x+\sqrt{(s-x)^2-h^2}##.

Differentiating w.r.t time,
[tex]\frac{d(OA)}{dt}=v_2=\frac{dx}{dt}-\frac{(s-x)}{\sqrt{(s-x)^2+h^2}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
##dx/dt=v_1## and ##s-x=h/\sin \alpha##, using these
[tex]v_2=v_1\left(1-\frac{1}{\cos \alpha}\right)=-v_1\frac{2\sin^2 \alpha/2}{\cos \alpha}[/tex]

Is this correct?
A minus turned into a plus in the middle there, but it must have been a transcription error because it came out right in the end.
I still don't understand what's wrong with my attempt in the first post.
I didn't understand your reasoning there, so I can't say where it was wrong.

haruspex said:
A minus turned into a plus in the middle there, but it must have been a transcription error because it came out right in the end.

I didn't understand your reasoning there, so I can't say where it was wrong.

Thank you haruspex! :smile:

Related to Sliding Rings on Rods: Solving for Inextensible String Velocity

1. What is the purpose of studying rings sliding on rods?

Studying rings sliding on rods helps us understand the principles of friction, motion, and energy transfer. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and material science.

2. How do different materials affect the sliding of rings on rods?

The material of the rings and the rods can significantly impact the friction and motion of the rings. For example, rings made of materials with low friction, such as Teflon, will slide more easily on rods made of materials with high friction, such as rubber.

3. What factors affect the speed of rings sliding on rods?

The speed of rings sliding on rods is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the rods, the surface texture, the weight of the rings, and the force applied to the rings.

4. Can rings slide on rods without any friction?

No, it is impossible for rings to slide on rods without any friction. Friction is necessary to overcome the resistance between the two surfaces and allow for motion. However, the amount of friction can be reduced by using materials with low friction or applying a lubricant.

5. What are the practical applications of rings sliding on rods?

Rings sliding on rods have various practical applications, including conveyor systems, piston rings in engines, and bearings in machinery. It is also used in experiments and demonstrations to illustrate the principles of motion and friction.