Sliding egg I think the books wrong, could someone please verify?

In summary, the conversation discusses the smallest angle from the horizontal that will cause an egg to slide on a pan, given the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces. The conversation includes a diagram and equations to determine the angle, and a mistake is found in the equation for the normal force. The correct equation is FN = Fgcos(theta), which leads to the final solution of theta = sin-1(.4), or approximately 23.6 degrees.
Beamsbox
***EDIT***Sorry for a second there, I tried to convince myself that FN was not equal to Fg, but it must.

Given the coefficient of static friction (.4) between an egg and a pan, what is the smallest angle from the horizontal taht will cause the egg to slide?

Here's my drawing:
PhysicsEgg.jpg

(http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/BeamsBox/PhysicsEgg.jpg)

Here's my work:
x, implying that it's along the x-axis
Fs is static friction force
Fg is the force of gravity
m = mass
a = acceleration
(mue) = .4, the coefficient of friction

Fs(max) = (mue)FN Equation 1
FN = mg
Substitute to get:
Fs(max) = (mue)(mg) Equation 2

F(net)x = max
Fs - Fgx = max

Since it is stationary, a = 0

Fs - Fgx = m(0)
Fs = Fgx Equation 3

Now substitute (mue)(mg) for Fs,
(mue)(mg) = Fgx, and substitute the Fgx from the diagram,
(mue)(mg) = Fgsin(theta), and substitute mg for Fg
(mue)(mg) = (mg)sin(theta), mg cancels out
(mue) = sin(theta), and substitute the known .4 for (mue),
.4 = sin(theta)
theta = sin-1(.4)
theta = about 23.6 degrees

The book says 2... any ideas on where I may have gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the normal force is not equal to mg.

To elaborate on DH's remark. If the egg is just about to slide, it is still at rest and the sum of all the forces on it must be zero. Look at your drawing. For the sum of the three vectors to be zero, the magnitudes of the vectors must form a closed triangle. Fg is the hypotenuse and Fn one of the right sides. Can they be equal? What is it that must be equal instead?

FN = Fgcos(theta)... that seems to make more sense.

Can you finish the problem now?

Ya, I figured it out... finally thanks again.

Related to Sliding egg I think the books wrong, could someone please verify?

1. How does the sliding egg experiment work?

The sliding egg experiment demonstrates the concept of inertia. The egg is placed on a flat surface and pushed gently. Due to its inertia, the egg will continue to move in the same direction until it encounters an external force, such as friction, that stops it.

2. Why does the egg slide in a straight line?

The egg slides in a straight line due to the absence of external forces acting on it. In the absence of friction, there is no force to change the direction of its motion, so it continues to slide in a straight line.

3. Can the sliding egg experiment be done with other objects?

Yes, the sliding egg experiment can be done with other objects, such as a toy car or a ball. As long as the object has enough inertia and the surface is smooth enough, it will demonstrate the same concept of inertia.

4. Why might the results of the sliding egg experiment differ from what is described in the book?

The results of the sliding egg experiment may differ if the surface is not completely smooth or if there is an external force acting on the egg, such as a slight tilt in the surface. It is important to control for these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. Is the sliding egg experiment a reliable way to demonstrate inertia?

Yes, the sliding egg experiment is a reliable way to demonstrate inertia. It is a simple and visual way to understand the concept of inertia and has been used in science education for many years.