Sliding Down a Spherical Surface

In summary, the person will lose contact with the surface at an angle of approximately 48.2 degrees. This can be determined by setting the gravitational potential energy at the top of the surface equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom, and solving for the velocity. Then, equating the radial component of the weight to the centripetal force, and solving for the angle, results in an angle of approximately 48.2 degrees.
Paul_Bunyan

Homework Statement

A person starts from rest at the top of a large frictionless spherical surface, and slides into the water below. At what angle (theta) does the person leave the surface?

Then the book gives a "hint": (Hint: The person will lose contact with the surface when the Fn (normal force) is zero.)

Homework Equations

So I was playing with a few quations and with the gravitational force and its vectors and ended up with Cos(theta)=0, but that would be at 90 deg. and I don't think that's right.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, gravity would be the only force acting here, right? So gravity would be causing the motion and the centripetal force, etc.?

It's fairly obvious that if the person had remained in contact witht he surface until hitting the 90 deg. mark, the contact would be lost, but, like I said, it seems contact would be lost before that due to accelration from gravity...I can't quite figure how to intertwine everything to find out the velocity and angle, etc...

Any help in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well gravity is pulling straight down always, but as the person moves the vector component pointing normal to the surface decreases. Also the person is accelerating, so v tangent to the spherical surface is increasing, so mv2/r is increasing.

The point at which contact is lost is when mv2/r = mg(rad), where mg(rad) is the radial component of mg pointing toward the center of the sphere.

See also - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=100734 - on page 303 (today) of the thread.

Last edited:
Paul_Bunyan said:

Homework Statement

A person starts from rest at the top of a large frictionless spherical surface, and slides into the water below. At what angle (theta) does the person leave the surface?

Then the book gives a "hint": (Hint: The person will lose contact with the surface when the Fn (normal force) is zero.)

Homework Equations

So I was playing with a few quations and with the gravitational force and its vectors and ended up with Cos(theta)=0, but that would be at 90 deg. and I don't think that's right.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, gravity would be the only force acting here, right? So gravity would be causing the motion and the centripetal force, etc.?

It's fairly obvious that if the person had remained in contact witht he surface until hitting the 90 deg. mark, the contact would be lost, but, like I said, it seems contact would be lost before that due to accelration from gravity...I can't quite figure how to intertwine everything to find out the velocity and angle, etc...

Any help in the right direction would be great, thanks.

is there a picture of this surface?

Here's a picture:
Prob.78.jpg

OK, so contact is lost when mv^2/r = cos(theta)mg (cos(theta)mg being the radial component of mg). That makes sense.

So then v^2/r = cos(theta)g, and v^2 = cos(theta)gr.

I read through that other problem you linked to, so I assume the answer would be the same here (cos(theta)=2/3), using the equation kp posted in that other thread:

mgr(top) = 1/2 mv2 + mgrcos(theta) (the angle slides off)

But I don't quite understand 100% how that equation is set up...

Last edited:
let t = theta

(PE_o - PE_f) = (KE_f - KE_o)
mgr - mgr*cos(t) = (1/2)mv^2
solve for v^2 ...
mgr[1 - cos(t)] = (1/2)mv^2
2gr[1 - cos(t)] = v^2

radial component of weight = centripetal force
mg*cos(t) = mv^2/r
substitute for v^2 ...
mg*cos(t) = (m/r)*2gr[1 - cos(t)]
cos(t) = 2 - 2cos(t)
3cos(t) = 2
cos(t) = 2/3

t = arccos(2/3) = approx 48.2 degrees

Related to Sliding Down a Spherical Surface

1. What is the physics behind sliding down a spherical surface?

The physics behind sliding down a spherical surface is primarily due to the force of gravity. As an object moves down the slope of the spherical surface, gravity pulls it towards the center of the sphere, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration is affected by the mass of the object and the slope of the surface, as well as other factors such as air resistance.

2. How does the mass of the object affect its speed while sliding down a spherical surface?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its speed while sliding down a spherical surface. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore will accelerate more quickly than a lighter object. This means that a heavier object will reach a higher speed while sliding down the surface compared to a lighter object.

3. What role does the slope of the surface play in sliding down a spherical surface?

The slope of the surface affects the acceleration of an object sliding down a spherical surface. A steeper slope will result in a greater acceleration due to the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a higher speed. A shallower slope will result in a lower acceleration and a lower speed for the object.

4. How does air resistance impact sliding down a spherical surface?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the speed of an object sliding down a spherical surface. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a resistive force that opposes its motion. This can slow down the object and affect its final speed, especially if the object has a large surface area and is moving at high speeds.

5. Can an object slide up a spherical surface?

Yes, an object can slide up a spherical surface as long as it has enough initial velocity and the slope of the surface is not too steep. In this case, the force of gravity will act in the opposite direction, slowing down the object and eventually stopping it. However, if the object does not have enough initial velocity or the slope is too steep, it will not be able to overcome the force of gravity and will roll back down the surface.