Sled being pulled by two people. Minimum tension and acceleration.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a heavy sled being pulled by two people with given coefficients of static and kinetic friction, combined mass, and angles. The question asks for the minimum rope tension required to get the sled moving and the sled's acceleration after it starts moving. To solve the problem, the participants suggest drawing a free body diagram and using the equation F=ma, but there may be additional factors to consider such as the vertical component of the tension and the uneven distribution of the sled's weight footprint.
charlygarcia

Homework Statement

A heavy sled is being pulled by two people as shown in the figure. The coefficient of static friction between the sled and the ground is μs = 0.603, and the kinetic friction coefficient is μk = 0.395. The combined mass of the sled and its load is m = 291 kg. The ropes are separated by an angle φ = 23°, and they make an angle θ = 31.1° with the horizontal. Assuming both ropes pull equally hard, what is the minimum rope tension required to get the sled moving?

If this rope tension is maintained after the sled starts moving, what is the sled\'s acceleration?

38535b04-5063-46dc-a3a8-3ffad6b40111.jpe

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to draw a free body diagram and add the tensions and then substract the friction. I divided 23° by 2, but I'm not sure if that's correct. To get the minimun tension required to get the sled moving I used μs.
I got this equation at the end but I guess it's wrong because I still can't get the right answer for the minimum tension:
2T cos 31.1+ 2T cos 11.5 = μs ( mg - 2T cos 31.1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, check the photo I attached. Does it help?

Attachments

• sled.JPG
    sled.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,215
mishek's diagram helps (calculate T' first). T' will have a vertical component, which will reduce the normal force from the ground, and hence reduce the friction. But T' will also have a moment about the centre of mass, so the sled's weight footprint will not be evenly distributed. I guess you'll have to ignore that awkwardness. (But not the reduced friction.)

Related to Sled being pulled by two people. Minimum tension and acceleration.

1. What is the minimum tension required for a sled to be pulled by two people?

The minimum tension required for a sled to be pulled by two people depends on the weight of the sled, the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground, and the angle at which the two people are pulling. This can be calculated using the formula T = (Wsinθ + µWcosθ)/2, where T is the minimum tension, W is the weight of the sled, θ is the angle at which the two people are pulling, and µ is the coefficient of friction.

2. How does the acceleration of the sled change with the increase in tension?

The acceleration of the sled is directly proportional to the tension applied. This means that as the tension increases, the acceleration of the sled also increases. However, there may be a maximum acceleration that can be achieved depending on the weight of the sled and the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a sled being pulled by two people?

The acceleration of a sled being pulled by two people is affected by various factors such as the applied tension, the weight of the sled, the coefficient of friction between the sled and the ground, and the angle at which the two people are pulling. Additionally, external factors such as wind resistance and surface conditions can also affect the acceleration of the sled.

4. Can the sled's acceleration reach zero?

Yes, the sled's acceleration can reach zero if the applied tension is equal to or less than the minimum tension required to overcome the force of friction. In this case, the sled will move at a constant velocity until the applied tension is increased or decreased.

5. How can the minimum tension and acceleration be measured experimentally?

The minimum tension and acceleration can be measured experimentally by using a spring scale to measure the tension applied by the two people, and a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the sled to travel a certain distance. The acceleration can then be calculated using the formula a = 2(T - µWsinθ)/m, where a is the acceleration, T is the tension, µ is the coefficient of friction, W is the weight of the sled, and m is the mass of the sled.