Slashed fraction instead of vertical one

In summary: Did that work?In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to nicely display a "slashed" fraction in LaTeX. One method is to use the nicefrac package, which makes the fraction appear smaller and closer to the slash. Another method is the StackOverflow approach, which adjusts the size of the slash to match the size of the numerator and denominator. The conversation also includes recommendations from the TeXbook, such as not overusing the \frac command and using \nicefrac instead. The conversation also references a user's personal approach and provides an overview of different ways to display fractions in LaTeX, including a custom \slfrac command.
TheBigBadBen
Is there any way to nicely LaTeX a "slashed" fraction? In other words, if I want to write $a_1/a_2$ instead of $\frac{a_1}{a_2}$ or even $\dfrac{a_1}{a_2}$, is there a way to make it look nice?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like \(\displaystyle ^{a_1}\!\!/\!_{a_2}\)?

It turns out that in real $\LaTeX$, you can use
Code:
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{units}
\begin{document}

$\nicefrac{a_1}{a_2}$

\end{document}
which looks like:

Attachments

• slashed_fraction.png
    slashed_fraction.png
    242 bytes · Views: 87
Last edited:
I found this, which seems to be working a little better

LaTeX force slash fraction notation - Stack Overflow

A sample result:

View attachment 872

What I like about this is that you get a nice fraction without changing the font size or extending the line.

I was also trying to find something that would work on MHB, if anything like that exists.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 11.00.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-06 at 11.00.02 PM.png
    540 bytes · Views: 93
Last edited:
What works on MHB is ^{a_1}/_{a_2}.
See my previous post for how it looks (slightly adjusted with negative space \!).

TheBigBadBen said:
Is there any way to nicely LaTeX a "slashed" fraction? In other words, if I want to write $a_1/a_2$ instead of $\frac{a_1}{a_2}$ or even $\dfrac{a_1}{a_2}$, is there a way to make it look nice?
What exactly is ugly about $a_1/a_2$, i.e., what do you want to change? The nicefrac package makes the numerator and denominator smaller and moves them closer to the slash; that's what is calls "nice" as opposed to fractions with regular slash, which it calls "ugly". This is debatable. The StackOverflow method simply makes the height of the slash equal to the height of its arguments.

And how is $a_1/a_2$ different from the following example?

TheBigBadBen said:
A sample result:

View attachment 872

The TeXbook does not recommend any special care with slash in fractions. There is a subtlety, though:

"TEX does not treat $/$ as a binary operation, even though a slash stands for division (which qualifies as a binary operation on mathematical grounds). The reason is that printers traditionally put extra space around the symbols $+$, $−$, and $*$, but not around $/$. If TEX were to typeset $/$ as a binary operation, the formula ‘\$1/2\$’ would come out ‘$1\mathbin{/}2$’, which is wrong; so TEX considers $/$ to be an ordinary symbol."

Another advice from the TeXbook is not to overuse \frac (or, rather, \over in plain TeX). E.g., instead of $\dfrac{\frac{a}{b}}{2}$ it is recommended to type $\dfrac{a/b}{2}$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Another advice from the TeXbook is not to overuse \frac (or, rather, \over in plain TeX). E.g., instead of $\dfrac{\frac{a}{b}}{2}$ it is recommended to type $\dfrac{a/b}{2}$.
That applies especially in exponents. I always write $x^{1/2}$ in preference to $x^{\frac12}$, also \(\displaystyle \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}f(t)\,dt\) rather than \(\displaystyle \int_{-\frac\pi2}^{\frac\pi2}f(t)\,dt\).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What exactly is ugly about $a_1/a_2$, i.e., what do you want to change? The nicefrac package makes the numerator and denominator smaller and moves them closer to the slash; that's what is calls "nice" as opposed to fractions with regular slash, which it calls "ugly". This is debatable. The StackOverflow method simply makes the height of the slash equal to the height of its arguments.

What annoys me is that the size of the slash doesn't adjust to the size of the numerator and denominator. To me, ${a_1}^2/{B_1^2}$ does not look pretty. I think the StackOverflow method captures my aesthetics.

I think I like Serena's approach is probably what I'll use here.

If you are really worried about the aesthetics, you could always do something like this:

Code:
\newcommand{\name}{% name is whatever you want to call it   
   \leavevmode   
   \begingroup   
   \setbox 2 = \hbox {\small \(a_1\)}%   
   \setbox 0 = \hbox {/}%   
   \dimen 0 = \ht 0  \advance \dimen 0 by -\ht 2   
   \raise \dimen 0 \box 2   
   \kern -0.3333\wd0/\kern -0.3333\wd 0   
   \lower \dp 0 \hbox {\small \(a_2\)}%   
   \endgroup 
}
\begin{document}
something \name\space something
\end{document}

Here's an overview, using MiKTeX.

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=875

I like Serena said:
Here's an overview, using MiKTeX.

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=875

I can't view your attachment

TheBigBadBen said:
I can't view your attachment

Huh?
What do you see?
As far as I can tell, you quoted the picture I uploaded.
That is, in your quote the picture shows normally.

Anyway, here's the overview as far as it renders here.

\(

\newcommand{\slfrac}[2] { \left.#1\middle/#2\right. }

\verb|\newcommand{\ILS}[2] { ^{#1}\!\!/\!_{#2} }| \\
\newcommand{\ILS}[2] { ^{#1}\!\!/\!_{#2} }
\verb|\newcommand{\dILS}[2] { ^{ \displaystyle #1}\!\!/\!_{ \displaystyle #2} }| \\
\newcommand{\dILS}[2] { ^{ \displaystyle #1}\!\!/\!_{ \displaystyle #2} }
\verb|\newcommand{\xILS}[2] { \left. ^{ \displaystyle #1}\!\!\middle/\!_{ \displaystyle #2} \right. }| \\
\newcommand{\xILS}[2] { \left. ^{ \displaystyle #1}\!\!\middle/\!_{ \displaystyle #2} \right. }

\begin{array}{|l|ccc|}
\hline \\
\verb|\frac{#1}{#2}| & \frac{1}{2} & \frac{a_1}{a_2} & \frac{a_1^2}{B_1^2} \\ \\
\verb|\dfrac{#1}{#2}| & \dfrac{1}{2} & \dfrac{a_1}{a_2} & \dfrac{a_1^2}{B_1^2} \\ \\
\verb|#1/#2| & 1/2 & a_1/a_2 & a_1^2/B_1^2 \\ \\
\verb|\left.#1\middle/#2\right.| & \slfrac{1}{2} & \slfrac{a_1}{a_2} & \slfrac{a_1^2}{B_1^2}\\ \\
\verb|\ILS{#1}{#2}| & \ILS{1}{2} & \ILS{a_1}{a_2} & \ILS{a_1^2}{B_1^2}\\ \\
\verb|\dILS{#1}{#2}| & \dILS{1}{2} & \dILS{a_1}{a_2} & \dILS{a_1^2}{B_1^2}\\
\verb|\xILS{#1}{#2}| & \xILS{1}{2} & \xILS{a_1}{a_2} & \xILS{a_1^2}{B_1^2}\\
\hline
\end{array}

\)

Last edited:
Let me retry the attachment.
I was fiddling with it before to get it to show neatly.

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=877&d=1370685379

Attachments

• slashed_fractions.png
    slashed_fractions.png
    5 KB · Views: 56
So before, the attachment just showed up as a "couldn't load image" error at that spot before. Not sure what happened there. At any rate, I can see your latest post just fine. Thank you for the table! I stand by my aesthetic opinion here, so \middle/ seems to work best for me. I think that's what I'm going to be using from now on, if it comes up; I think it will look better for nested fractions too.

Last edited:

Related to Slashed fraction instead of vertical one

What is a slashed fraction instead of a vertical one?

A slashed fraction, also known as a solidus or virgule, is a diagonal line that is used to represent division or fractions instead of a traditional vertical line.

Why are slashed fractions used instead of vertical ones?

Slashed fractions are commonly used in mathematics and science because they are easier to read and write. They also take up less space, making them more efficient in mathematical expressions and equations.

Are there any differences in meaning between a slashed fraction and a vertical one?

No, there are no differences in meaning between a slashed fraction and a vertical one. They both represent the same concept of division or fractions.

Can slashed fractions be used in any mathematical expression?

Yes, slashed fractions can be used in any mathematical expression where division or fractions are involved. They are particularly useful in complex equations where multiple fractions are present.

What are some examples of using slashed fractions in science?

Slashed fractions are commonly used in chemistry to represent molar ratios, in physics to represent unit conversions, and in biology to represent population growth rates. They are also used in statistics to represent probability and in engineering to represent unit costs.