Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal angle for throwing a rock from the peak of a hill to achieve the greatest range. One solution involves using p and q coordinates, where p = x cosφ + y sinφ and q = y cosφ - x sinφ, and rotating by \phi. The poster also asks for a more elegant solution.
Anaxerzia

Homework Statement

A boy stands at the peak of a hill which slopes downward uniformly at angle [tex] \phi [/tex]. At what angle [tex] \theta [/tex] from the horizontal should he throw a rock so that is has the greatest range.

(Source: Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow)

Homework Equations

I suppose trig identities, vectors, and the general one dimensional kinematics would help ([tex]x_0+v_0t+a_0t^2[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my solution went like this: Pretend the ground is flat and that instead gravity is at an angle [tex]\phi-90)[/tex], and that the ball is launch at angle [tex]\theta+\phi[/tex] My idea was to decompose both the gravity vector and the vector of the launch into vertical and horizontal vectors, look at the time it takes to hit the ground using the vertical component and then use that time to plug into see how far it goes in the horizontal component. Then, simply maximize that with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]. If you draw it out and do all that, you get:

untitledJPG.png

Vertical components:
Initial Velocity: [tex]v_0\sin{(\theta+\phi)}[/tex]
Acceleration from Gravity: [tex]-g\cos{\phi}[/tex]

Horizontal components:
Initial Velocity: [tex]v_0\cos{(\theta+\phi)}[/tex]
Acceleration: [tex]+g\sin{\phi}[/tex]

Time to hit ground:
[tex]0=v_0t\sin{(\theta+\phi)}-\frac{1}{2}gt^2\cos{\phi}\Rightarrow[/tex]
[tex]t=\frac{2v_0\sin{\theta+\phi}}{g\cos{\phi}}[/tex]

Now plug that [tex]t[/tex] into:
[tex]v_0t\cos{(\theta+\phi)}+\frac{1}{2}gt^2\sin{\phi}[/tex]

and maximize. Now from pure, unrelated experimentation, I also get [tex]\theta=\frac{90-\phi}{2}[/tex] to maximize the distance.

Now my questions are

1) Is there anything wrong with my method? It's not a priority question but it would be useful
2) Is there a better way to do this? This solution is very messy and I was wondering if there was a more elegant, creative way to solve this. :)
3) Are both answers that I obtained above correct?

Thanks a lot

(I realize that another thread was made about this a year ago, but that never went anywhere, the problem was not solved, and the methods attempted was completely different, etc. so I thought it would be better simply to create a new topic. Merge if necessary: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=201484 )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Anaxerzia ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Anaxerzia said:
Pretend the ground is flat and that instead gravity is at an angle [tex]\phi-90)[/tex], and that the ball is launch at angle [tex]\theta+\phi[/tex]

What you are doing is using p and q coordinates (say), where p = x cosφ + y sinφ, q = y cosφ - x sinφ

Yes, that's a perfectly valid method! :smile:

(But "pretend the ground is flat" is not mathematical language! :wink:)

Or I guess you could have said to rotate by [tex]\phi[/tex] , right? :-)

Does anyone have a more elegant solution? It seems to be lurking in there somewhere...

Related to Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill

1. What is "Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill" about?

"Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill" is a coming-of-age story about a young boy named Max who discovers a unique ability to control gravity. As he navigates through his newfound powers, he must also deal with the challenges of growing up and facing the consequences of his actions.

2. How does the concept of slanted gravity relate to the story?

The idea of slanted gravity in this story refers to Max's ability to tilt or manipulate gravity, which plays a central role in the plot. It also serves as a metaphor for the ups and downs of life, especially during adolescence.

3. Is "Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill" scientifically accurate?

While the story does involve elements of science and physics, it is ultimately a work of fiction. The concept of slanted gravity is not based on any known scientific principles, but rather serves as a creative tool to explore the themes of the story.

4. Who would enjoy reading this book?

This book is suitable for readers of all ages, but it may particularly appeal to young adults who are going through their own journey of self-discovery. Fans of science fiction and fantasy may also enjoy the unique concept of slanted gravity in the story.

5. Are there any underlying messages or themes in "Slanted Gravity: A boy on a hill"?

Yes, there are several themes explored in the story, such as the power and consequences of our actions, the struggle of growing up and finding one's identity, and the importance of friendship and family. It also touches upon the idea of embracing our differences and learning to use them to our advantage.