What is the change in KE of the proton?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the kinetic energy of a proton moving in an electric field, with the correct formula being K=qV=qE/d. The participants also clarify the terms used in the formula and provide the necessary values for calculating the change in KE of the proton, which can be done using a calculator.
Dx
A proton moves .1 m along the direction of an electric field of magnitude 3 V/m. What is the change in KE of the proton?

Is this the corrrect formula? KE = Q_pV_accel

Through substition i came up with an swer of 3.2x10^-20J but i don't think its correct?
Can you help me solve for this please?

Thanks!

Dx :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Dx
Is this the corrrect formula? KE = Q_pV_accel

Can you explain what those terms mean?

Originally posted by Tom
Can you explain what those terms mean?

Sure Tom,

KE=Kinetic Energy
Q_p=Charge of potential
V_accel=velocity of acceleration

Its not the correct formula huh?

Dx,

There is no such thing as a "charge of potential" or "velocity of acceleration". I think you have those concepts muddled up. The kinetic energy K that a charge q acquires while being accelerated through an potential difference* V=Ed is:

K=qV=qE/d

*I can use V=Ed because that is valid for parallel plate capacitors.

A proton moves .1 m along the direction of an electric field of magnitude 3 V/m. What is the change in KE of the proton?
proton mass = 1.6e-27 kg
proton charge = 1.6e-19 C
distance = 0.1m
E = 3 V/m
mv2/2 = energy (non-relativistic)
KE=qE/d...
just pick up the calculator.

What is the change in KE of the proton?

The change in kinetic energy (KE) of a proton can be calculated by subtracting its initial KE from its final KE. This change in KE can be caused by various factors such as acceleration, collisions, or changes in potential energy.

How is the change in KE of the proton related to its mass and velocity?

The change in KE of a proton is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that an increase in mass or velocity will result in a greater change in KE.

What is the unit of measurement for change in KE of the proton?

The unit of measurement for change in KE is joules (J). This is the standard unit for all forms of energy, including kinetic energy.

Can the change in KE of the proton be negative?

Yes, the change in KE of a proton can be negative if its final KE is less than its initial KE. This can occur if the proton loses energy due to collisions or encounters a decrease in potential energy.

How can the change in KE of the proton be calculated experimentally?

The change in KE of a proton can be calculated experimentally by measuring its mass and velocity before and after a specific event, such as a collision. This data can then be used to calculate the change in KE using the formula: ΔKE = 1/2 * m * (vf^2 - vi^2), where m is the mass of the proton and vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively.