Skipping parts of Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of skipping sections on molecular vibrations, scattering theory, and collisions in the book Mechanics by Landau and Lifshitz in order to focus on higher level topics such as QFT and advanced GR. The speaker shares their experience of not needing these sections for general relativity and elementary quantum mechanics, but acknowledges the importance of understanding these topics in order to fully grasp the concepts. They also mention the value of taking the time to read and understand the entire book, even if it may seem time consuming.
cpsinkule
I've recently picked up Machanics by Landau and Lifshitz to brush up on Lagrangian\Hamiltonian mechanics, but this book contains a huge chunk of sections on molecular vibrations\scattering theory\collisions etc etc. My question would be: Will skipping these sections leave me at a disadvantage when I pick up on higher level topics such as QFT et al? My experience so far is that it is not needed, at least for General Relativity and elementary Quantum Mechanics. I will go back in the future and cover those sections, it just seems like it is unnecessarily time consuming to learn those applications if my main goal is learning QFT\Advanced GR and the like.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no two areas of physics that are disjoint. While it may seem inefficient and unnecessary to read those parts, you will benefit greatly be taking the time to first, convince yourself intelectually and emotionally that those topics are important and arrive at this conclusion yourself, and second, to sit down and read and understand that small book the whole way through. "Impatience slows understanding."

Related to Skipping parts of Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

1. What is the Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

The Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics, also known as the Landau-Lifshitz Theory of Continuous Media, is a branch of classical mechanics that deals with the behavior of continuous media such as fluids, solids, and gases. It was developed by Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz in the 20th century and is widely used in the study of various physical phenomena.

2. What is the significance of "skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

"Skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics refers to the practice of skipping certain steps or derivations in the mathematical equations used in the theory. This is often done to simplify the equations and make them more manageable, while still maintaining the accuracy and validity of the results.

3. What are some examples of "skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

Some examples of "skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics include assuming certain boundary conditions, neglecting small terms in equations, and using approximations to solve complex problems. These techniques are commonly used in the theory to make it more practical for real-world applications.

4. Are there any limitations to "skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics?

While "skipping parts" can be a useful tool in simplifying equations, it can also lead to some limitations in the accuracy of results. In some cases, skipping certain steps may overlook important details that can affect the overall outcome. Therefore, it is important to use caution and carefully consider the potential impact of skipping parts in the theory.

5. How is "skipping parts" viewed in the scientific community?

The use of "skipping parts" in Landau\Lifshitz Mechanics is a common and accepted practice in the scientific community. It is seen as a practical approach to solving complex problems and is often used by researchers and scientists in their studies. However, it is important to clearly state any assumptions or simplifications made in the equations to avoid any misunderstandings or discrepancies in results.